Heatmor owb problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redneck Ont

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well fella's Im a little P.O'd We bought our Heatmor 400DCSS last January, I have been nothing more than pleased with the performance of the stove it has been top notch, however there has been some cosmetic issues that I have just noticed, It appears that the entire sub structure of the stove is starting to rust! We have not owned this stove a year! WTF??? So I had the dealer come out to refill the stove ( I moved it) and mentioned it to them, they told me to call the distributor for the area " Green Valley Heating" I spoke to Charlie and he told me that "that series of stove has had that problem and Heatmor has changed the design, and started powder coating parts" I told Charlie that thats great that Heatmor has figured out that there was a problem and has chosen to fix the problem, however what are they going to do about my BRAND NEW stove?!!?!?!?! He told me " well thats just how they are" I told him that there needs to be something done about it he told me "have the installers call me" I said no problem and waited for the fellas to show up, once they did I told them that they need to call Charlie to get this straightened out. So they call and then ask me what I want, I said" I want my BRAND NEW stove to look like a BRAND NEW stove, I want the prep issues that came from the factory fixed and not just a Tremclad touch up" Bottom line is they did a poor job at the factory and used substandard paint and poor prep work the result is a RUSTY STOVE that is a year old! So after a few phone calls back and forth Heatmor offered me a WHOOPING $150 if I want to fix it myself! Hahaha They must think my time is only worth .50 an hour if that. The stove needs to be COMPLETELY dissembled, sub structure sandblasted, properly primed, then painted. What do they think Im going to do? A half azzed paint joblike they did? I dont think so! We paid almost $17,000 total including installation! Like I mentioned to the gentlemen that I spoke to "Keith" (VP of Heatmor?) If he bought a brand new truck (Almost the same price) and the paint started falling off 7months down the road how would he feel? What I was left with was a "I'll look into it... And Ill call you back A.S.A.P" Well Ive yet to hear from ANYONE, my stove is still rusting and I have no answers, I really hope that a company like Heatmor is going to be more willing to stand behind there product than others like "Hawkins" ect. Sorry fellas I had to vent a little and Im looking for other opinions to see if Im out of line for being upset that my BRAND NEW stove is rusting and Im being ignored?!?!?! Im going to copy and paste this thread into an email and include a link to this thread and send it to the president of Heatmor "Gerry Reed" and see if this might get his attention.

Ill Post pictures tommorow of the stove and its problems.

Heres the email I just sent to Mr Reed:

Good Evening Gerry,

We purchased a 400DCSS last January from G&R Air Services ( A distributor for Green Valley) I have brought some issues with the paint to the attention of "Keith" who works for you, Keith was supposed to get back to me right away with a solution to the problem, he has not. I am an active member of a website www.arboristsite.com I have posted my concerns with my fellow members to get there opinions on how I should proceed, you may read the thread, heres a link:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=2491732#post2491732

Read it over and let me know how you would like to proceed.

I will continue to post ALL emails from Mr Reed.

Heres the pics Fellas, let me know what you think.

PA080162.jpg

Rusty logo? This all looks like poor prep and thin paint to me

PA080163.jpg

PA080164.jpg

Notice the rusty hinges and door edges

PA080165.jpg

Rusty base.

PA080167.jpg

Rust coming out around sheet metal screws and rusting in the valley.

PA080168.jpg

Rusty roof edge.

PA080169.jpg

Not only rust, notice the caulking coming off?

PA080172.jpg

Keep plugging away at them. The condition of that stove is just not right for 1 year. How about posting Gerry's e-mail address ? We can all get on his case .

Keep plugging away at them. The condition of that stove is just not right for 1 year. How about posting Gerry's e-mail address ? We can all get on his case .

Thanks BD for the back up, thought I was the only one that thought there was some issues... The only email I could dig up for Gerry Reed Heatmor was [email protected] Thanks to Google. Still havent heard anything...:cheers:

Feel free to email :)

looks like the powder coat had trouble sticking. Not really a functional issue just touch up related in my opinion. This is common on flat black applied in hot conditions.

I would not think this is a functional issues and the angle iron is going to last a long time even with some rust spots IMO.

I would agree that it is not cosmetic good look but I honestly not really seen a pretty boiler yet.

The bottom I would wonder about the foam at the bottom causing water to be trapped also.

looks like the powder coat had trouble sticking. Not really a functional issue just touch up related in my opinion. This is common on flat black applied in hot conditions.

I would not think this is a functional issues and the angle iron is going to last a long time even with some rust spots IMO.

I would agree that it is not cosmetic good look but I honestly not really seen a pretty boiler yet.

The bottom I would wonder about the foam at the bottom causing water to be trapped also.

Its actually not powder coated, the new models however are. Its just cheap black paint. I agree it does not affect how the stove functions however it is NEW and should not be rusting.

$17,000 including installation for an inefficient, wood eating smoke dragon. Do they all cost that much?
17k included installation, logistor, heat exchangers, ect. The stove itself retails for around 10k.

It does use wood, but we also heat 3300sq ft of old farm house with it, the house was using 5400L of furnace oil prior to installing the stove, you do the math....

$17,000 including installation for an inefficient, wood eating smoke dragon. Do they all cost that much?

you can always tell who doesn't have one yet. its ok, you get there some day.

p.s. i only paid $5500 for my woodmaster, and it looks 10 times better than the stove in those pictures ( its in its 4th season now).

Maybe im in the minority,but i think its normal...it is an outdoor furnace,its exposed to the weather...it isnt stainless steel ,and its certainly not a truck,so no comparing the 2...no matter how much you paid,its still covered with relatively cheap outer skin,and mild steel,you knew this...I say take the 150.00 and be happy,give it a touch up,or build a carport or structure over it if your worried about it...FWIW my Shaver looked worse the day they delivered it,it got to ride on an open trailer on salt covered roads from ark to NY...was supposed to be here in august,i got it on a snowy day in december...I had no recourse...

5400K Fuel equals about 8.5 to 13 cord of wood depending on the wood type dryness etc...

How much wood do you use?

I would have contacted them first before posting this link to them..

They are in a no win situation..imo..

Looks to me like he did contact then and they chose to ignore him. Whats wrong with shaking the tree a little ? If my OWB looked like that after 1 year I would be pissed off. They should come out and fix it or replace the stove. $150 bucks is an insult.

I did contact Heatmor, I have not heard back from them. The way I see it is that there is nothing wrong with posting in an open forum the quality of there customer service and how they stand behind there product. This is a good thing as far as Im concerned for future customers.

Looks to me like he did contact then and they chose to ignore him. Whats wrong with shaking the tree a little ? If my OWB looked like that after 1 year I would be pissed off. They should come out and fix it or replace the stove. $150 bucks is an insult.

Agreed!

Back