Heatmor owb problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe im in the minority,but i think its normal...it is an outdoor furnace,its exposed to the weather...it isnt stainless steel ,and its certainly not a truck,so no comparing the 2...no matter how much you paid,its still covered with relatively cheap outer skin,and mild steel,you knew this...I say take the 150.00 and be happy,give it a touch up,or build a carport or structure over it if your worried about it...FWIW my Shaver looked worse the day they delivered it,it got to ride on an open trailer on salt covered roads from ark to NY...was supposed to be here in august,i got it on a snowy day in december...I had no recourse...

John dont take this the wrong way but Heatmor is supposed to be a far superior stove, for what I paid and was promised as far as quality, I will make sure the problem is solved. Sorry to hear your Shaver looked like a pos when it got there, some people are willing to accept things like that, I however am not.

John dont take this the wrong way but Heatmor is supposed to be a far superior stove, for what I paid and was promised as far as quality, I will make sure the problem is solved. Sorry to hear your Shaver looked like a pos when it got there, some people are willing to accept things like that, I however am not.

I dont take offense,however "superior" is subjective,and just because its more expensive doesnt mean its better.....Shavers arent very refined,however they have thick fireboxes,and sturdy build quality...they also have a 3/8" thick firebox and meet the the govts standards for high efficiency OWBs....I understand your not being happy about it,and no my stove looks like any other 2 yr old OWB the front is covered in soot and smoke,you cant eve see any of the surface rust that was on the door as a result...to me its like a tractor or tool,its going to get scratched and rust,thats what happens....im not going to worry about it or get upset over it....

I agree with John.

Boilers are heaters they smoke puke and poke, and shake a little :).

But that are not going to look like a corvette.

I think a little surface rust is part of the game I have seen a lot that all have a little rough spots. I would be more concerned about the performance and if it performs well....

I would not pay 17K for a boiler there are many companies with as good if not better products for much less.

If I did pay for a corvette and got a chevette I guess I might be upset since I was expecting a corvette but I would have refused delivery out of the gate. But After I got it, I would say well I guess I got the shaft.

you can always tell who doesn't have one yet. its ok, you get there some day.

p.s. i only paid $5500 for my woodmaster, and it looks 10 times better than the stove in those pictures ( its in its 4th season now).

I dont think Ill get there. I have a jotul that heats my house on 4 cord a year, I have about $4 thousnad invested and it looks like new, doesnt bellow smoke, and i dont have to go outside to load it. I dont see the advantage.

I dont take offense,however "superior" is subjective,and just because its more expensive doesnt mean its better.....Shavers arent very refined,however they have thick fireboxes,and sturdy build quality...they also have a 3/8" thick firebox and meet the the govts standards for high efficiency OWBs....I understand your not being happy about it,and no my stove looks like any other 2 yr old OWB the front is covered in soot and smoke,you cant eve see any of the surface rust that was on the door as a result...to me its like a tractor or tool,its going to get scratched and rust,thats what happens....im not going to worry about it or get upset over it....

I guess it boils down to one man cares for his tools in different ways than others, for example I clean my OWB and remove all the soot and smoke, I also keep my tractor in the barn and wash it to prevent rust and if I was to see a rust spot I repair it, further more I have no rusty tools. Different strokes for different folks....

I agree with John.

Boilers are heaters they smoke puke and poke, and shake a little :).

But that are not going to look like a corvette.

I think a little surface rust is part of the game I have seen a lot that all have a little rough spots. I would be more concerned about the performance and if it performs well....

I would not pay 17K for a boiler there are many companies with as good if not better products for much less.

If I did pay for a corvette and got a chevette I guess I might be upset since I was expecting a corvette but I would have refused delivery out of the gate. But After I got it, I would say well I guess I got the shaft.

You are correct, this boiler smokes when the fans start up and when it shuts down, when the stove is running full tilt there is little to no smoke coming out of it. It does not poke or puke, as a matter of fact Ive never seen it shake either...:monkey:

As for looking like a Corvette your correct, it will not look like a Corvette... Its a OWB.

This once again boils down to the fact that there are people in the world who are willing to accept certain things and there are others who are not. Im sure you've seen many a OWB and there all rusty, my question to you is how many NEW Heatmor OWB's have you seen? Like I mentioned in my First post Heatmor knows that there was and issue with prep and paint and has since changed the process, tell me, why should there problem become mine? Why should I pay top dollar for something is faulty? This is just something Im not willing to accept, some people are push overs in life, I however am not.

And I quote

"If I did pay for a corvette and got a chevette I guess I might be upset since I was expecting a corvette but I would have refused delivery out of the gate. But After I got it, I would say well I guess I got the shaft."

Some people like getting the shaft, but once again this is not something I was raised to tolerate, we have paid our hard earned money with expectations & promises of a top notch product, and I will get it.

:buttkick:

I guess it boils down to one man cares for his tools in different ways than others, for example I clean my OWB and remove all the soot and smoke, I also keep my tractor in the barn and wash it to prevent rust and if I was to see a rust spot I repair it, further more I have no rusty tools. Different strokes for different folks....

Understood, I do clean the outside of my OWB,but once a year,just like the siding on the house,as mother nature does that the rest of the time. I only clean inside the OWB in the spring before the off season,simply scrape it as needed during the season,and keep the ash bin empty.... As for the tractor,water is the enemy....washing it promotes rust ,and electrical problems,unfortunately Ive learned this the hard way I used to overwash everything.Now I simply blow off all my equipment daily with backpack blowers,and wash only when necessary,then I let the machine cool off,so im not putting 50 degree water on hot parts,that then contract and draw in the water....My Skid steer,and zero turns usually get a bath 2-4x a season,at the most,but daily blow offs,and seats/tanks/floor/radiator/deck-baffles cleaned weekly...I dont mow in the rain or heavy dew,so mud and wet grass isnt an issue. This is what works for me,whatever works for you is the best :biggrinbounce2:

You will really be thinking "superior" when one of those wonderful hoses on the door decides to spring a leak and you either have to change it "hot" or wait till it cools down and you have lost a good bid of water. The 200 I have is on it's 8th season and it looking a little rusty its self. After having both a Heatmor and a Central Boiler, I wouldn't even consider a Heatmor.

Poor workmanwship on a Heatmore Stove

Its actually not powder coated, the new models however are. Its just cheap black paint. I agree it does not affect how the stove functions however it is NEW and should not be rusting.

Hold up the pony cart! I don’t want you to feel bad but I have to disagree with you. The paint on that OWB is substandard and it will affect the functions of the unit. It might not be today or tomorrow but if you had a Central Boiler, you would be expecting it to last for many years. If you had a pole building, the steel will last for 25 years or more and not show any rust. With the rust I see showing on your unit, you’ll be lucky to get 5 to 10 years out of the covering. I would think that Heatmor would stand behind their workmanship.

Powder coating is not the problem. Henry Ford didn’t have powder coating on the Model “T” and look how long those cars lasted. My son is 41 years old and he still has the same little red wagon he had as a little boy and it’s not all rusted.

I’m sorry but I don’t by that excuse. Heatmor did not prep their steel properly so it rusted. The rust might not affect the function of your stove today or tomorrow but it will in due time or once the steel starts to rust through the cover I would be checking Google and see who else has that problem and if need be, start a class action suite.

I would think they would jump through hoops to solve your problem.

Last edited:
Hold up the pony cart! I don’t want you to feel bad but I have to disagree with you. The paint on that OWB is substandard and it will affect the functions of the unit. It might not be today or tomorrow but if you had a Central Boiler, you would be expecting it to last for many years. If you had a pole building, the steel will last for 25 years or more and not show any rust. With the rust I see showing on your unit, you’ll be lucky to get 5 to 10 years out of the covering. I would think that Heatmore would stand behind their workmanship.

Powder coating is not the problem. Henry Ford didn’t have powder coating on the Model “T” and look how long those cars lasted. My son is 41 years old and he still has the same little red wagon he had as a little boy and it’s not all rusted.

I’m sorry but I don’t by that excuse. Heatmore did not prep their steel properly so it rusted. The rust might not affect the function of your stove today or tomorrow but it will in due time or once the steel starts to rust through the cover I would be checking Google and see who else has that problem and if need be, start a class action suite.

I would think they would jump through hoops to solve your problem.

I could not agree more Iska, all I want is for them to make it right, nothing more nothing less.

I called them last Friday October 8th 2010 and have still not heard anything form them...nothing...Either they are trying to "punk" me off or they are working on some magical way of fixing the unit with out touching it... I tend to get the impression that Im getting "punked" off, but I have been wrong before.

You would think with the wonderful world of SEO (Search engine optimization) Heatmor might consider resolving this issue before this post gets parked right under there website is Google search results....

So I just called Heatmor to follow up with Keith (The gentleman I spoke to) V.P of operations, he was out of the office, so was Gerry Reed (President) hmmm...

So in the process of looking for there 800# I went to there website to get it, well fancy that a new website!! So I thought I would look at there "Warranty" section, well low and behold!! And I quote

"The Heatmor™ limited LIFETIME warranty covers defects in materials, workmanship AND CORROSION."

Ok so how about less than a year??? I know its "limited lifetime" but Im sure it cannot be "limited" to 9 months?!?!?!?

I'll keep you fellas posted.

UPDATE: Well fellas its been 7 days exactly and still no calls from Heatmor... Seems that there is more than an issue with there stoves, there customer service sucks too!

Hey fellas, well here's the scoop Heatmor NEVER returned any of my calls, to this I am VERY dissapointed with there customer service and there overall business attitude, the dealer we bought it from is going to dismantle the stove and send all of the parts out to be sandblasted and properly painted, I asked them if they had heard anything from Heatmor and they said no, they are just going to fix the problem and try to get the money out of Heatmor I feel bad that these guys are fixing an issue that is obviously been caused by poor prep work at Heatmor, but I want the problem fixed so what do ya do....

Hey fellas, well here's the scoop Heatmor NEVER returned any of my calls, to this I am VERY dissapointed with there customer service and there overall business attitude, the dealer we bought it from is going to dismantle the stove and send all of the parts out to be sandblasted and properly painted, I asked them if they had heard anything from Heatmor and they said no, they are just going to fix the problem and try to get the money out of Heatmor I feel bad that these guys are fixing an issue that is obviously been caused by poor prep work at Heatmor, but I want the problem fixed so what do ya do....

Glad to hear you have a dealer thats stepping up.....I hope its repaired properly and the repair holds up..

Sounds like they might do you right. Years ago I had a pole barn built and some of the steel had small blems and complained about it. 3 years later I saw where is started to rust. I soon found out that the company was using second grade steel in their buildings. I had all mine replace for free.

I'm sure something happen when they built your stove. No reason for any rust in that short time.

Hope all works out for the best.

Back