Heavy leaning tree, help appriciated!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartDalb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Got a tree, that should be taken down.
It has a severe lean, but no issues with the fall direction.

How would you go about this?

Any help and debate is welcome!

See pictures! :)

Attachments

• DSC_0506.JPG
    DSC_0506.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0503.JPG
    DSC_0503.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
  • DSC_0500.JPG
    DSC_0500.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0501.JPG
    DSC_0501.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0504.JPG
    DSC_0504.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 60
According to the guy who lives there, the tree was standing strait up 2-3 years back.
It will fall on it's own, at some point....just as the 3 others around it.

Several thoughts. You mention that it "should" be taken down. What is the reasoning for should if direction of fall is of no concern. Especially if there are no high value targets. Next, if it was apparently standing straight up 2-3 yrs ago and several trees around the same area have fallen there is possibly something going on with the ground causing them to start leaning. Any ground indicators? Fungus's etc? Seems like some large limbs on certain sides as well which would obviously assist with a particular lean.
With information given, I'd say let nature take it's course and cut it up once it falls on its own. If "needing" firewood or some other reason then go for it. Boring back cut is your safest option and looks like you'd have to pick your spot carefully on where to make your face/back cuts.

Several thoughts. You mention that it "should" be taken down. What is the reasoning for should if direction of fall is of no concern. Especially if there are no high value targets. Next, if it was apparently standing straight up 2-3 yrs ago and several trees around the same area have fallen there is possibly something going on with the ground causing them to start leaning. Any ground indicators? Fungus's etc? Seems like some large limbs on certain sides as well which would obviously assist with a particular lean.
With information given, I'd say let nature take it's course and cut it up once it falls on its own. If "needing" firewood or some other reason then go for it. Boring back cut is your safest option and looks like you'd have to pick your spot carefully on where to make your face/back cuts.

The reason to take it down, boils down to the owner, thinking it is in the way of his route into cleaning up the other trees behind it. He fears driving near it with a heavy tractor etc. might cause the tree to fall.

And yes, the ground is wet and several trees have fallen around this one.
Best bet, this one will fall in the next storm or within a year or two.
But we want the trees/firewood behind this one cleared before that.

Bore cut was my thought as well.

It's not a large/heavy tree, so should not be real problematic. If you have a good size saw that's sharp and you have confidence in your ability--in other words don't hesitate on your back cut--you should be able to drop it without drama.

However, there is a fold in the lower portion, visible in the latter 2 photos, that might complicate things a little. Not sure how to read that without being there.

The bore cut is not a bad idea, but probably not necessary to a skilled operator with good sharp saw.

It's not a large/heavy tree, so should not be real problematic. If you have a good size saw that's sharp and you have confidence in your ability--in other words don't hesitate on your back cut--you should be able to drop it without drama.

However, there is a fold in the lower portion, visible in the latter 2 photos, that might complicate things a little. Not sure how to read that without being there.

The bore cut is not a bad idea, but probably not necessary to a skilled operator with good sharp saw.
Legitmate reason for taking it down if owner thinks it may fall on him while around it.
Roping it up is definitely an option, if the ground is that wet/soft it may go easily.

Agreed with that fold on the lower portion hence where to make the cuts is critical. Diameter of where the safest spot to cut would be nice to know and without being there, pics are a little tough.

As for the bore cut and for me, it's not about having a sharp chain, my chain is always sharp without question. Regardless of how fast or efficient you make the back cut it's about the heavy forward lean much more and the wood fibers being stressed so much and the potential of that barberchair. How many feet of lean does the tree have? Have you measured or calculated that? Assessing the tree thru various steps will tell you just how safe the operation can be. The bore cut is the safest cut to make regardless of sharpness of chain. Skill level sure, definitely comes into play on making the bore cut properly and not cutting thru hinge wood.
Go 1/4 deep on your face cut, you'll have plenty of room to make the bore cut. Again, what's the dia where you're gonna cut. Knowing how many feet of lean the tree has will determine how much of the bore you can take out safely. Leaving plenty of thickness (prob a couple inches depending on tree dia) work you're way to the hinge until you get to 10-12%, maybe keeping it a bit on the thicker end of that bc of the lean. Stand back, making sure you have good escape routes and cut that backstrap.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and tips! :bowdown::bowdown:

I will be walking around it for a few days to measure things up etc.

So, what did you decide?

Sorry, late reply, been busy on the tree, getting that firewood home :)

See pictures.

I got some help with a bigger saw, but it turned out it wasn't even needed. (I run an MS260, 15" bar)
We did talk about that it might be hollow inside, and sure enough....
92cm is around 36 inches

Attachments

• DSC_0553.JPG
    DSC_0553.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0552.JPG
    DSC_0552.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC_0563.JPG
    DSC_0563.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Back