Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maul ratt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just tested the Helko Vario 2000 Heavy Log Splitter. I've been wanting one of these for a few years now, and I finally got my hands on one. My video went a little longer than I originally planned, sorry about that. Please comment if you own one or have thoughts to share. Thanks for checking it out.

I have one. I find it pretty good for straight-grained wood. It doesn't do well in anything that's really dense or even a little twisty. Because of the fairly aggressive V shape, it shocks the wood more than penetrating it. Those are my observations.

cheers,
Matt

maul ratt, looks good and it also looks like you might wanna get started on your wood a little earlier next year.. The best thing to learn when splitting wood by hand is to read the piece and it sounds like you know what you are doing.
I have one. I find it pretty good for straight-grained wood. It doesn't do well in anything that's really dense or even a little twisty. Because of the fairly aggressive V shape, it shocks the wood more than penetrating it. Those are my observations.

cheers,
Matt
Thanks for sharing! I have some elm coming up. Sounds like it will put it to the test.

Thanks for sharing. How does it compare with your oshcouphs I know that is spelled very wrong. I would love to see a head t head with both you osh......... and the 2000.
I have thought about ordering this with 2 heads

Looks excellent man! The ability to swap heads is sure spiffy. The very slight angle on the handle allows the full force of the blade to be transmitted equally (instead of hitting short or long on the blade edge), for most guys, most swings.

Thanks for sharing. How does it compare with your oshcouphs I know that is spelled very wrong. I would love to see a head t head with both you osh......... and the 2000.
I have thought about ordering this with 2 heads
They're both very nice tools. It took me awhile to spell Ochsenkopf. The steel they use is slightly different. Helco uses C45 High Carbon Steel and Ochsenkopf uses rolled C60 tempering steel. I have a mauls from Ochsenkopf and Helko that are pretty close. The OX635 H is comparable to the Helko Top Line Splitting Maul. I may eventually do a comparison video that I'll be sure to post here.

While I appreciate the review I have to say that I believe the type/size of wood you put it through is not a very good assessment IMO. I would of like to see something more comparable.

Looks excellent man! The ability to swap heads is sure spiffy. The very slight angle on the handle allows the full force of the blade to be transmitted equally (instead of hitting short or long on the blade edge), for most guys, most swings.
I'm planning on ordering the Scandinavian Splitting Axe Blade insert. I'll post another video showing how it changes out and how it works.

While I appreciate the review I have to say that I believe the type/size of wood you put it through is not a very good assessment IMO. I would of like to see something more comparable.
I hear ya... I didn't have any big rounds at the time of making the video. I'll update you with some other challenging pieces very soon.

I hear ya... I didn't have any big rounds at the time of making the video. I'll update you with some other challenging pieces very soon.
If you want to send it to me I have 3 cords of oak, hickory , and elm most over 18 in up to 28 that needs split. Or if you want to use my wood pile as a testing ground. You are welcome and all meals are free.

What does that tool cost?

Directly from Helko North America is $126 plus $5 flat shipping.

http://www.helkonorthamerica.com/store/c3/Vario_2000.html

I'm planning on ordering the Scandinavian Splitting Axe Blade insert. I'll post another video showing how it changes out and how it works.

Definitely keep us posted. I am curious about that head.

The one I am really interested in is the splitting axe head. I would be interested in piecing together one with the poly handle for giggles.

Maul Ratt,

One thing I noticed as I watched your video a few times and this is just my flunky observation, so I am probably way off as usual.

It seems if you were able to generate more speed it may do better. To me, and this is just me, it looked like
As you were coming from the side as you were coming down with the axe, as opposed to a straight up and down motion, it was robbing a lot of your power into the swing.

Again, just me and I am probably wrong.

Keep up the good work!!! I really enjoy your reviews and thanks for taking the time to make them so in depth.

Directly from Helko North America is $126 plus $5 flat shipping.

http://www.helkonorthamerica.com/store/c3/Vario_2000.html

Definitely keep us posted. I am curious about that head.

The one I am really interested in is the splitting axe head. I would be interested in piecing together one with the poly handle for giggles.

Maul Ratt,

One thing I noticed as I watched your video a few times and this is just my flunky observation, so I am probably way off as usual.

It seems if you were able to generate more speed it may do better. To me, and this is just me, it looked like
As you were coming from the side as you were coming down with the axe, as opposed to a straight up and down motion, it was robbing a lot of your power into the swing.

Again, just me and I am probably wrong.

Keep up the good work!!! I really enjoy your reviews and thanks for taking the time to make them so in depth.
Thanks! I'll try adjusting my swing to be more up and down and see if it helps. I have a little rotator cuff issue in my right shoulder, so I'll see if it causes any issues.

As far as the poly handle goes, I wonder if it would be more likely to vibrate?

Thanks! I'll try adjusting my swing to be more up and down and see if it helps. I have a little rotator cuff issue in my right shoulder, so I'll see if it causes any issues.

There is a price break on the poly handle. It brings the price down enough for me to entertain the idea of getting one in the future.

Ah.....that makes total sense about the shoulder.

I "imagine" the polyamide handle "would be" comparable to Stihl's splitting axe. That's just me guessing though.

There is a price break on the poly handle. It brings the price down enough for me to entertain the idea of getting one in the future.

The poly handle is only 32" I believe. I spent a lot of time rooting through their website.

I just tested the Helko Vario 2000 Heavy Log Splitter. I've been wanting one of these for a few years now, and I finally got my hands on one. My video went a little longer than I originally planned, sorry about that. Please comment if you own one or have thoughts to share. Thanks for checking it out.

Mark,

Just curious as to how this compares to the other splitting tools you have tested. Have you used a Fiskars X27 yet?

As of now the Husky S2800 is my go-to but I haven't used the Helko or any of the Stihl tools.

Steve

Latest posts

Back