Hello from BKVP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes maybe but my stove is brand new and I has no numbers on it just the swoosh label. I have put my own numbers on the stove .
Closed = The number 1 or 12 O'clock,...... wide open = the number 6 or the 6 O'clock position. So I have 6 numbers on my stove 1 being straight up 6 being straight down. I wanted a way to repeat a good setting but so far we have not had consistent weather to work with. One day it is 16* then its 55* it rains almost every other day the weather here sucks basically. I am waiting for the ground to freeze so I can start cutting fire wood I always cut my firewood in the winter. This may be winter with no snow and no freeze the way it looks now. I need to move to the Artic i think.

Yes maybe but my stove is brand new and I has no numbers on it just the swoosh label. I have put my own numbers on the stove .
Closed = The number 1 or 12 O'clock,...... wide open = the number 6 or the 6 O'clock position. So I have 6 numbers on my stove 1 being straight up 6 being straight down. I wanted a way to repeat a good setting but so far we have not had consistent weather to work with. One day it is 16* then its 55* it rains almost every other day the weather here sucks basically. I am waiting for the ground to freeze so I can start cutting fire wood I always cut my firewood in the winter. This may be winter with no snow and no freeze the way it looks now. I need to move to the Artic i think.

So your t-stat doesn't look like this?:

Attachments

• P1020327.JPG
    P1020327.JPG
    584.2 KB · Views: 20
not even a little bit it looks like a Nike Swoosh trade markView attachment 472869

Ok, thanks for posting that and I now understand more about your t-stat. I'll just mention once again, so everyone out there knows, you put those numbers on your t-stat...it's not like that from the factory.

Let me just say loud and clear if @bkvp is listening: Putting just the "swoosh" on the t-stat SUCKS!!! Once a person finds the setting that keeps the house at a desired temp, it's necessary to be able to repeat the setting. With just the "swoosh", it would be very hard to set the t-stat to the exact spot unless a person does what you did and stick numbers or make a mark on the dial. I'm really not sure what BK was thinking. Hopefully VP will chime in and explain.

On our stove, we set the t-stat to the "r" in "normal" which is right at the number 2 (see pic below). If the weather is a little warmer, we will set it at the "o" in "normal" (lower). If the weather is colder, we will set it at the "m" (higher). Those letters are about 1/8" apart which is just about perfect for us. The point is, it is EASILY REPEATABLE.

I just snapped a pic of the top of our stove. It is currently 70* in our house and 33* and snowing outside (11:55 am). With the t-stat set as described above, and the temp outside, the cat will hover around the "12 o-clock" position which is 1000*. I wish I had a time lapse video of it. You would see the cat temp moving slightly below and slightly above that 12 o-clock position. It truly is an "auto" thermostat just like a gas furnace. When heat is demanded, it opens the damper and produces more heat. When it has heated the house to the desired setting, it closes the damper and produces less heat.

Attachments

• P1020328.JPG
    P1020328.JPG
    701.5 KB · Views: 17
  • P1020327.JPG
    P1020327.JPG
    584.2 KB · Views: 17
Talking about the t-stat being a truly "auto" damper on the Blaze King: I just took another pic of the top of the stove. In a little over 30 minutes, look how the cat and flue temps have fluctuated...all on their own, yet the house temp stays the same. The t-stat will automatically adjust the damper (combustion air) all day and night, for 24 hrs. straight and our house will stay 70-73*:

EDIT: We are burning Pine.

Attachments

• P1020328.JPG
    P1020328.JPG
    701.5 KB · Views: 26
  • P1020331.JPG
    P1020331.JPG
    841.3 KB · Views: 29
  • P1020330.JPG
    P1020330.JPG
    786.3 KB · Views: 22
I set mine at #1. If I left it open to 2 or further the stove would be glowing. If it's -20* outside I might bump it closer to 1.25.

A big thing that screws with the "auto" (haha) damper is cold air from the outside and the blower. The whole intake pipe and part of the back of the stove will ice up when it's cold outside.

And that's why bk removed the numbers. They got tired of people calling and saying their stove must be broken since they can't run it on #1 like vfw above. Rather than tell them that every setup is different, they decided to remove the numbers. Big mistake imo.

I never knew the other style sticker, but for my own personal use I thought I would just make my life easier if I had something to go by.

I agree, and after seeing your t-stat, I believe you did the right thing putting those numbers on. I guess my thought is...paying $3000+ for a stove, you shouldn't have to make alterations to make it easy to operate. The sticker is a simple, but important thing.

I set mine at #1. If I left it open to 2 or further the stove would be glowing. If it's -20* outside I might bump it closer to 1.25.

A big thing that screws with the "auto" (haha) damper is cold air from the outside and the blower. The whole intake pipe and part of the back of the stove will ice up when it's cold outside.

Valley, your stove really makes me scratch my head. I've ready many of your posts from the past and it just doesn't sound like your Blaze King is working properly. I wish you could enjoy your stove like we are enjoying ours. If I were in your shoes, I would be looking at every square inch of your setup. Something (or things) just isn't right.

Latest posts

Back