Hello,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aarcuda said:
my attitude was brought about by some of the replies that would not be helpful but were somewhat making fun of me ie., please film it so we can watch it" and get some earmuff caps and etc." without providing any details on the proper method to do this. to all others, i apologize.

I'm not being hateful. just frustrated that there were way more "do not do this" answers as compared to the responsive answers. the response from Axeman was the reason for most of my attitude- now that I re-read it, i see he was replying to the offer of a show by trinity. therefore, I apologize again.

When someone asks me for advice on how to do something, I give it. if its dangerous, I point out the dangers and how to counter them or avoid them. I will stress the dangers so he is aware of them. if he decides to go ahead and proceed, its his decision.

This is a tree. people cut them down. they have a technique. I would like to know what that technique is. I understand there is skill involved. I am a very skillful perosn. If the required task is explained ,I can most likely accomplish it.

all I need to know is how they would do it if they were doing it. I dont mind the "dont do it" answers but I was hoping they would be followed by the "BUT if I were going to do it, I would..................."

heres some more pictures showing the tree's height and the relation to the house.

You are tunnel visioning this thing. You ARE getting what you need. You have been referred to specific threads in this site that discusses your questions and even been given instruction in how to find others. That you are too lazy to refer to them is YOUR problem, not ours. I suggest you go out the door and come back in with a different attitude.

The advice to 'not do it' is some of the sanest things I have seen in this forum. You have provided no information about what knowledge or tools or experience you have. Some one said it very succinctly. You do not start a new job at the top of the ladder, you start at the bottom and work up gaining experience. To try to fall a hollow tree next to a house when you have never felled any tree before is insane.

The 'don't do it' advice has nothing at all to do with 'stealing money from the professionals' I have never seen that attitude displayed on the site in the many years I have been here, the pros are very willing to give advice and just as quick to warn of hazards.

Now someone has asked you about the tools you have, I suggest you answer him.

Harry (just a Harry homeowner) K

chill out- we're all friends here right. trying to help each other right?

When I first got here I read every post in this forum (which was only 2 pages) and there wasnt anything there. I didnt try the search function becuase I didnt know it went further than the 2 pages of threads that I read the first day I was here.

after trying the advice last 2 nights, I read lots of threads in the archives. i'm not lazy. just didnt know where else to look. I read lots of good stuff and saved lots of links on tree safety, barberchairing and equipment. I am in the fact gathering mode. when I am in that mode, I use everything at my disposale. this post is one of the fact finding tools I'm using- not the only.

i also replied to the tools i have, I most certainly did answer that. look further up the chain ((and dont be lazy by skipping what I posted (ya, thats coming right back at you)). as for attitude, how many more times can I apologize. I AM SORRY!!! I WAS FRUSTRATED> I AM BETTER NOW> I AM SORRY. I am an information junky. I like to know how. I like to find out things. I like to determine for myself if I can do things based on all the facts. to be told, no, I'm not going to tell you anything because you'll get hurt, drives me crazy. doesnt it you?

as for the post asking me if I would perform eye surgery, of course not. why is that different, because I know the risks involved (i.e., needs cutting scaple skills, risk of infection, cant see what youre doing when your eye is full of blood, not good with a needle and thread when it comes to stitching my own flesh, etc). so I wouldnt attempt that . Asking about the "what ifs" is part of what I was asking earlier- what could happen here? how would you prevent that? once I know this, I can determine whether or not I can do this.

aarcuda said:
I am an information junky. I like to know how. I like to find out things.

Well, you can't be all bad, then. :D

aarcuda said:
as for the post asking me if I would perform eye surgery, of course not. why is that different, because I know the risks involved (i.e., needs cutting scaple skills, risk of infection, cant see what youre doing when your eye is full of blood, not good with a needle and thread when it comes to stitching my own flesh, etc). so I wouldnt attempt that . Asking about the "what ifs" is part of what I was asking earlier- what could happen here?

You could drop a lot of heavy wood on something that won't like it. Yourself, your friend, etc.

Okay, that's obvious, but it bears repeating. This isn't building an engine, where the worst thing that can go wrong is that you'll break it.

I'm sure the pros here could give a long list of details that could go wrong, but I think the point is that even if they DO give a long, detailed list, it won't begin to cover it. There are just too many things, too many variables.

The eye surgeon started on frogs, eventually worked up to cadavers, and then very simple surgery on live people UNDER SUPERVISION.

He didn't start with a high-risk surgery.

You shouldn't, either.

"I can determine whether or not I can do this."

But first you must determine What you need to do, or to have done.

The HOW comes much later; you haven't gotten to first base yet.

reachtreeservi said:
Originally Posted by aarcuda
I am a very handy person. ....
I'm going to do this. it will either work or it will be a life lesson. I hope it works. can anyone help out now?

You come on the forum and ask for advice , Obviously , the majority of the advice you have received says the cheapest and only safe option for you is to pay the $500 and call it a day. Just because you feel handy , doesn't't mean you won't be injured. All the other homeowners that got injured this and every year thought they were handy too. My grandfather used to say " You are unique , just like everyone else." The point is , you are not unique.
You are just like everyone else. Grandpa also used to say " the definition of a fool is someone who keeps doing the same thing and expecting different results. It's not a "life lesson" but reality that if you insist on doing something that requires thousands of dollars of special equipment and a very long learning curve and you don't have the equipment and you get one step ahead of the curve that Mr. Murphy will strike.

What's next? Do it yourself eye surgery?. Just because the Doctor quoted you 5000 Dollars and you did't have .After all, You've seen it on TV .

Sounds ridiculous doesn't it.But the principle and the chance of almost certain injury are about the same.

Yes, this is a homeowner advice forum.
And the only sane advice is let a pro do it !

But, by your own admission, You are going to do it anyway. So........

More cut and less talk! Oh yeah, Don't forget the videos!
outstanding!

hello

aarcuda said:

When I first got here I read every post in this forum (which was only 2 pages) and there wasnt anything there. I didnt try the search function becuase I didnt know it went further than the 2 pages of threads that I read the first day I was here.

after trying the advice last 2 nights, I read lots of threads in the archives. i'm not lazy. just didnt know where else to look. I read lots of good stuff and saved lots of links on tree safety, barberchairing and equipment. I am in the fact gathering mode. when I am in that mode, I use everything at my disposale. this post is one of the fact finding tools I'm using- not the only.

i also replied to the tools i have, I most certainly did answer that. look further up the chain ((and dont be lazy by skipping what I posted (ya, thats coming right back at you)). as for attitude, how many more times can I apologize. I AM SORRY!!! I WAS FRUSTRATED> I AM BETTER NOW> I AM SORRY. I am an information junky. I like to know how. I like to find out things. I like to determine for myself if I can do things based on all the facts. to be told, no, I'm not going to tell you anything because you'll get hurt, drives me crazy. doesnt it you?

as for the post asking me if I would perform eye surgery, of course not. why is that different, because I know the risks involved (i.e., needs cutting scaple skills, risk of infection, cant see what youre doing when your eye is full of blood, not good with a needle and thread when it comes to stitching my own flesh, etc). so I wouldnt attempt that . Asking about the "what ifs" is part of what I was asking earlier- what could happen here? how would you prevent that? once I know this, I can determine whether or not I can do this.
mr. aarcuda try to get some estimates for someone to put these bad boys on the ground and you clean and cut all debris, ya might get a climber for 300 and a helper (not you) for a hundred this will save you 100 take the old lady out on friday and have at it sat morning you say you dont have a lot of scratch so think of it as a bonus for yourself and your wife, take a break from the rat race a monetary incentive will hopefully dissuade you from your foolish plan. a man that tries to represent himself in a court of law will only be defending a fool.

Has anybody got any video of barber-chairing, trees falling the wrong way,walking the stump or hitting buildings etc ? I don't think arcuda realizes just how FAST some of this stuff happens and how totally powerless you are once it starts. Maybe keep this guy from learning a bad lesson the hard way.

Ok I thought I was done here, but now theres talk of ladders. Ladders have no place in tree work. IMO. But back to this tree. Mike M. was the first to point out the obvious. LOOK AT THAT BASE. This thing has very few good roots (armillaria?). Just guessing. Roots got hammered during a construction project ooohhhh say 10-15years ago maybe 20.
OK heres what you do, go get a 3/16"x12" drill bit. You could probably get away with one only 6" but what the hey. Now aprox 6" above ground start drilling in slow, by the raised areas and in the "hollows" theres more to this but its pretty straight forward. Drill straight in. Good wood= white wood(after bark) BAD wood=brown, well rotten wood. Plug with bees wax when done. NOW how much "good" wood is around base. Be honest as if you do lean ladder on this tree and start cutting it could snap off around ground level with you up ladder with chain saw running wide open (cause your now falling and mashin the trigger) after that its anyones guess. GOOD EYE MIKE.

okay. its st pattys day. I had a few beers and i figured out what Im gonna do. I'm going to leave it be for a while.

I have some much smaller trees with rot in the base. a lot smaller. did I say that yet. they are tiny.

i am going to cut these down and let this tree bloom for a while. i figure, its been here forever, it survived some pretty strng winds for the past few months so it will probably survive the summer

boboak said:
Has anybody got any video of barber-chairing, trees falling the wrong way,walking the stump or hitting buildings etc ? I don't think arcuda realizes just how FAST some of this stuff happens and how totally powerless you are once it starts. Maybe keep this guy from learning a bad lesson the hard way.

actually, i would like to see them. you see, I have a very slight idea what it looks like (I watched some animation thing which was pretty good) but actually seeing it, that would be what i need.

my dad always said, learn from the mistakes of others first, then if you have to learn from your own.

anyways, I gave up on the big tree. I'm still going to cut stuff up (because it just feels good) but it will be smaller stuff.

I did pull a tree down the other day with a 4 wheeler but it was tiny and pretty rotten on the bottom. its like the people who lived here last just abused these trees

video of a fall gone really bad

Well, there's the tv commercial where the guy drops a really big tree on his vehicle. It's a start....definately a "what was he thinking" moment.

aarcuda said:
okay. its st pattys day. I had a few beers and i figure, its been here forever, it survived some pretty strng winds for the past few months so it will probably survive the summer

There's a plan. Save up for the reomoval in september and replant in october. That rotten stump is full of compost.:)

And for anyone who is stuck on a problem, aarcuda hass reaffirmed that you can always figure it out with enough time and :givebeer:

Trinity:

1. Nice. Good timing. Very apropriate.
  2. I love your avatar. Where can I get one like that showing a yellow lab?

:D

aarcuda said:

Sorry. I must have been low on the caffein level when I posted. The gist of what I said was good but the tone was wrong. Yes, I did see your post about the equipement. One thing in there did bother me. "ropes are easy to get". Nope, not the ones you need if you are going to use them to pull on trees. A new, good sized manila one fresh from the store maybe but I broke a 3/4" new manila doing just what you are thinking of doing and only had a 1/2 ton 2X on it at the time. Had to climb a tall ladder on a tree that was almost ready to fall (heart rate in stratosphere) to reattach a cable. Other choice was to let the tree fall on the house. That was back when I _thought_ I knew what I was doing. I've never used a rope on a tree since nor thought that a 1/2 ton PU was sufficient for the job. Now there are ropes certified for that use but you won't find them in the big box stores or the local hardware store.

Yes, you have corrected the attitude. Again I apologize.

Harry K

BlueRidgeMark said:
Trinity:

1. Nice. Good timing. Very apropriate.
  2. I love your avatar. Where can I get one like that showing a yellow lab?

:D

avatar courtesy of Begleytree, one of our delightful moderators... he might know about a golden lab... they are WONDERFUL dogs...

ropes

Click on Sherrilltree or Bailey's online adds, at the top of the page, search bullrope. 150' hank will run $189-$220. Yes it's more than a buck a foot, "What's your life worth?" All to common is a homeowner using a rope or cable that is too short and expecting to be able to drive/run out from under the tree. If his tree is 17' tall and the limb hangs out 34' then his rope guys should be more than 50' from the tree. More like 70' away to be clear of anything the tree will do. Then the rope has to be long if they wrap it around the tree and add in the angle to the ground. So he needs a long piece of rope. He needs a rope long enough to have the guys far enough away that the tree, if it twists, turns or jumps off the stump it doesn't reach out and land on the guys working the rope. Hemp and manilla ropes are not what I would use when there are much better ropes out there. Sherrilltree and Bailey's ship it to you in a day or two. It's not as if the tools aren't availible.$$
Knowing how to use them safely:priceless

turnkey4099 said:

Shows a real man, on BOTH parts, IMO.

I've never understood why being a pig-headed stubborn fool is considered manly by some folks.

turnkey4099 said:
Sorry. I must have been low on the caffein level when I posted. The gist of what I said was good but the tone was wrong. Yes, I did see your post about the equipement. One thing in there did bother me. "ropes are easy to get". Nope, not the ones you need if you are going to use them to pull on trees. A new, good sized manila one fresh from the store maybe but I broke a 3/4" new manila doing just what you are thinking of doing and only had a 1/2 ton 2X on it at the time. Had to climb a tall ladder on a tree that was almost ready to fall (heart rate in stratosphere) to reattach a cable. Other choice was to let the tree fall on the house. That was back when I _thought_ I knew what I was doing. I've never used a rope on a tree since nor thought that a 1/2 ton PU was sufficient for the job. Now there are ropes certified for that use but you won't find them in the big box stores or the local hardware store.

Harry K
we just had a guy in ct die doing the same thing

aarcuda said:
I am a very handy person. An absolute do-it-yourselfer. I have attempted many things that were very successful. some dangerous some not. I can rebuild a car, a motor (guess what kind of car I have), build a deck or a garage, reload ammunition, sharpen chainsaws, cook, grow food, hunt with a bow or gun, clean my own deer. etc.

I could live in the woods if I had to. I am very capable. I believe I can do this. Ive just never done it before and it really doesnt look that hard. I just want some pointers. If I know how, I can.

I know youre all concerned about my safety and I appreciate that. My family will not be around when this happens. just me, some friends and some tools.

if it hits the house, the tree service will cost me a $1000 deductable. If it kills me, my family gets lots of life insurance I get out of this rat race.

Of course, I dont want to die and thats why I'm asking for some tips. there are only 2 pages of tips here and Ive read them all. it helped somewhat.

I'm going to do this. it will either work or it will be a life lesson. I hope it works. can anyone help out now?

If the trees are rotted in the middle, it's not like any regular tree removal cutting.

You said you have tried a lot of things.

If you don't handle a hazard tree removal right, you may get to try your hand at dying.

Back