Help choosing Stihl Kombi

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dearber

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi

This has been discussed quite a bit here, and did a lot of reading, but still trying to maybe see if I can get some more input on what to get.

Looking at the Stihl Kombi system to use for maintaining my yard.

First, let me put up more info on what I intend to use it for:

- Cedar hedge trimming - Approximately between 8 and 9 feet tall trees, around 70 trees, likely twice a year or so.

- Grass trimming - I have roughly around 40 yards of more or less a ~6' grass strip, I use a cheap electrical mower and about 30' old cable. Ugh I hate dragging that cable, and especially flipping it over the cedar hedge to the lawn along the sidewalk. But the gas powered machines look like an overkill for this, especially since parts of the area are difficult to maneuver around. I am likely keeping the same mower for now, but I'd need some grass trimmer to help me with those edges here and there, let say about 20-30 yards of edge to trim, every week or two during warmer seasons.

- Blower, I have about 40 square feet of small gravel rocks that get filled with pine needle from a nearby tree. I have a cheap electrical blower that doesn't move a dime when put against the pine needle. Not sure if the Kombi blower would do better, but the dealer said I can always try it for a day and return it if not suitable. I am also wondering whether I can use it for cleaning the gutters, or potentially blowing snow off my glass top patio cover.

- Power Sweeper ? I was told at the dealer it is convenient for cleaning snow off sidewalks, usually should not be a problem in this area, but this winter was horrible, was out shoveling for an hour or two maybe like 15 times this winter, was not much fun, and they say winters like this may be more frequent in the future.

So with that, I am undecided between the KM 91, KM 111, the KM 131. Cost is not much of an issue, $400, $450, and $480 correspondingly. (All Canadian prices). $80 compared to the total cost after all attachments I would be paying anyway, is not that much of a difference to me. But I was told, given that I will likely more than the rest, use this for grass trimming, the engine may wear out quickly if not run at full throttle, and with grass trimming KM131 at full throttle would be too much power I was told and can throw rocks etc ... So I don't mind paying $80 more for the bigger engine, but not at the risk of potentially wearing it out sooner.

Then again, not sure if the blower paired with the KM91 would be enough for that pine needle, heck I do not know if even the KM 131 would be enough for it.

With that out of the way (apologies if too detailed :) ), I mainly have two questions

- Which engine between the KM 91, KM 111, KM 131 would you recommend? I am leaning towards the KM 111 as a happy medium.

- Straight or adjustable hedge trimmer ? I was going to go adjustable ($320 vs $220), because I was hoping to not have to use a ladder for the tops. But few dealers already told me they don't think not using a ladder is a good idea since I would not be able to see the work I am doing. So if I am to use a ladder anyway, I am starting to lean towards the straight one, reasons being: $100 cheaper, shorter (easier to maneuver?), less weight, less parts meaning less prone to issues ?

Thanks for the input. Yeah I am not really worried about the price difference.

My only concern is if I use the KM 131 with the grass trimmer too often, (which may mean not using full throttle a lot of times), whether that would cause the engine to not last that long. At least that is what the dealer told me.

I have also read somewhere that KM 130 has a slightly better build quality than then KM 110, though not sure if this is still the case between the newer models KM 131 and KM 111.

I don't think you'd have an issue. I figure you'd still use it wide open. It's not good to do half throttle as many will tell you. I have the km90 which I really like. I use the trimmer and pole saw attachment. It's a bit light for the pole saw but still works. I wish I had gotten the larger for the tiller attachment. If you get the big one and feel it's too much I'll trade you though :) and I'll pay the difference :)

I have a KM-130 and it is very torquey. It will literally drag you around if you aren't careful. If I accidentaly floor the throttle, and it is easy to do since the 4-mixes don't feather well, it will rip the grass out and tear into the dirt. Also, I don't use it for light trimming unless I have to because it weighs a ton. It has all the power I need but I just hate carrying the weight unless I am waist deep in weeds and brush. Then you love it, weight and all. Don't discount the KM-94 I think that is the 2 stroke unit. You are on the right track getting a multi use trimmer the first time. I bought a dedicated straight shaft unit and had to buy the KM later. I thought, heh, that the multi tool trimmers were toys and a novelty. Boy, was I wrong!!!

Honestly, have you considered a battery mower and a matching battery trimmer? They are doing some wonderful things with battery power now days. I looked at Ego's mowers and was impressed by the performance. And the price tag. But I believe one, or maybe more, of the battery companies have a multi tool trimmer.

The battery mower did cross my mind to be honest. I hate the cord on my electrical one. Though they do not seem to be cheap. I believe one place I asked they were starting from around $650 CAD or so.

I may visit the Stihl dealer again tomorrow, probably not a bad idea to ask for battery powered alternatives. Not quite sure if there is a good battery hedge trimmer though.
I guess ideally I'd have a battery powered mower, grass trimmer, hedge trimmer and then maybe a dedicated gas powered blower for the power, but that all would cost me likely at least 3 times as much :)

KM-94 light simple high revving traditional 2stroke. I don't bother using my KM-131 anymore. The KM-94 has enough power to run pole saw with 2 extensions, the 4mix have good torque & throttle response but lack the personality of the 2mix engines. Just my 2c with a few hundred hours on them commercially.

Hmm, well now I am debating between

HLA 65 + FSA 85 + AP300 + Charger = $950 CAD
KM 111 + Adjustable Hedge Trimmer + Mowing Head = $895

The later will allow me to expand for much cheaper (e.g $150 instead of $400 for the kombi blower vs BGA 100), Pole Pruner is much cheaper etc ..
But the former will keep me away from the temptation to buy all those extras :) .. and will be more convenient, lightweight etc

Thanks for the input. Yeah I am not really worried about the price difference.

My only concern is if I use the KM 131 with the grass trimmer too often, (which may mean not using full throttle a lot of times), whether that would cause the engine to not last that long. At least that is what the dealer told me.

I have also read somewhere that KM 130 has a slightly better build quality than then KM 110, though not sure if this is still the case between the newer models KM 131 and KM 111.

I have the previous model the km130
It does have a more robust build than the lesser two. The clutch cover is magnesium instead of plastic like the 90 and 110.
I'd imagine the new models are the same.

I bought a km130 about 8 years ago and added a straight string head, a saw head, pole chainsaw and extension, The best 2 cycle machine I have ever owned. Awesome machine, no problem here with feathering throttle here. this thing is just awesome. Lots of power, get a lot done with a little gas and it just won't quit. it starts easy each and every time. I have at least a dozen other brands of trimmers in the shed that are all junk compared to this thing. For a full year it sat in my florida garage with gas in the tank and when I pulled it out to start it, it cranked and ran perfect on second pull. Since there are so many trees in my florida yard I had used it to mow the lawn for most of the years.
I like it so much I went to dealer today to inquire about new 131 since I saw on the still website a spring promo, only in limited states and areas it turns out. The only reason for wanting another is the 40+ acres I now need to care for and the two kids who help me around the new farm

I stand corrected, thanks for straightening me out. Regardless this machine I would give 6 stars best money I ever spent on yard care machine.
After giving it some thought I might just go get that km130 i saw at dealer today. The new km131 is most likely a modified version to meet EPA nonsense rules.
then maybe one of those sythe heads for the mansize late summer weeds

Our tree company has 3 KM130R units with most of the attachments. I'd say the power sweep takes the most power. It's the most powerful trimmer I've ever used, mows down thistles no problem. We have the adjustable hedger, I'd recommend it since you don't have to stand right under your hedge.

Just saw you were wondering about the blower. It's awesome. Better than a handheld like the BG56 or BG86. Very loud too since it's a turbine design. It will definitely blow pine needles out of gravel and blow out gutters. It will even blow gravel off pavement. It's our most used attachment.

Thank you, that sounds promising. Would you mind letting me know which power head you use with the blower?

That might be the main reason I am thinking of getting the 131 (if the others are not powerful enough for let say pine needles ..), but if the smaller ones would work well too, then maybe I can gravitate towards the 111 or 91, because I have read quite a few posts that the 131 might be a hassle if using with the grass cutter.
Though I guess if that is really a problem I can always opt for maybe a cheaper dedicated grass trimmer, like the FS 56, and use the 131 with the hedger and blower.

I am still on the fence with going battery powered hedger and grass cutter to be honest, but I will miss the blower that way (and it looks like it is very popular with everyone that had used it), and I can not find enough info online to learn how long the life of those AP300 would be .. I'd hate having to shell out $200 for one every year or two.

I really do think I'd like the HLA65, it will be lighter, and it is also adjustable, and is not as long as the Kombi one (I think the Kombi adjustable is a bit too long for my taste, plus it will be heavier to operate).

I have the 110. It's ok for light trimming, but a slow turd in taller grass. The "antivibe" is HORRIBLE! I can't run it for more than an hour at a time, and even then my hands are "buzzing" and hurt the next day.

I can run a similar Shindawa or Husqy for several hours without that problem.

Was fine power wise with the power broom. I got rid of that attachment though, didn't work all that great. I found a rake was much faster and beats me up WAY less actually. Only time it worked well was getting gravel off grass, which I have a whole whopping 100ft a year to do. I bought it to rake the yard.

The 110 and 130 are basically the same weight. I didn't get the bigger one because my dealer didn't stock it.

Back