Help deciding between MS311, 391 & 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd fix your old one but that's my $.02. Buddy has a MS311 that is quite nice but they don't recommend over a 20" bar for it and for the price I think I'd get a 460 rancher. I've heard good things about the 362 but that price is hard to stomach. I don't fully understand the die hard brand loyalists. Don't get me wrong they're great saws. But for that price I can get a bigger saw from an alternate brand that'll be just as reliable.

Stihl has the best name recognition amongst saws. Most everyone knows Stihl. Mention Husqvarna or Echo and the average person is going to have a puzzled look on their face.
I agree Stihl is over priced. The only Stihl I would buy right now is the 261. I think they have the best 50cc saw right now. If Husqvarna hadn't added weight to the 550xp, it would be my choice. 60cc would be 562xp or 555. I would look at Echo and Makita before I made a final decision though.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I just replaced the ignition coil on my old Stihl 029 (farm boss, I think). It had started to bog down under load...now runs fine. Course I also bought a Stihl 362 MS, which I keep up north--I don't think the 362 is as heavy as my old 034. Great saw and easy to start with the decompression valve. I might try to fix your old saw first.

I just replaced the ignition coil on my old Stihl 029 (farm boss, I think). It had started to bog down under load...now runs fine. Course I also bought a Stihl 362 MS, which I keep up north--I don't think the 362 is as heavy as my old 034. Great saw and easy to start with the decompression valve. I might try to fix your old saw first.
That should have been 362 C-M

Which saw did you decide on? You still owe it to your self to fix your old saw. It is a very good feeling to get an old saw that you've had for years running again. I smile every time I get my first saw out and fire it up. I hardly ever use it but it makes me happy to get it out and listen to it run from time to time.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'd fix your old one but that's my $.02. Buddy has a MS311 that is quite nice but they don't recommend over a 20" bar for it and for the price I think I'd get a 460 rancher. I've heard good things about the 362 but that price is hard to stomach. I don't fully understand the die hard brand loyalists. Don't get me wrong they're great saws. But for that price I can get a bigger saw from an alternate brand that'll be just as reliable.

Stihl has the best name recognition amongst saws. Most everyone knows Stihl. Mention Husqvarna or Echo and the average person is going to have a puzzled look on their face.

I have a ms311 and run a 25" bar with no issues.

Back