• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

HELP. I think landscaper damaged tree

Bmcnaugh

Bmcnaugh

Looking for some professional advice. Our landscaper was digging with an excavator to set a fence post and they were smashing and ripping at this tree root for about 5 minutes. It’s about a foot in diameter and very close to the trunk. I’m afraid he damaged this too much. The tree is about 100 feet high and very mature.
94F1494C-C82A-4BA4-84FE-7701F74BDF18.jpeg

NIP Group
arathol

arathol

ArboristSite Operative
I can't imagine why a hole like that would be needed for a fence post. Don't let that guy touch anything until you have this examined by somebody qualified to do so. Is the hole still open?
Note - owning an excavator doesn't qualify anybody as a "landscaper"....

Rabid K9

Rabid K9

ArboristSite Lurker
That is very average work....

More than compromising the root protection zone. Certainly hasn't done the tree any favours in the immediate & longer terms.

Better quality photos would help, a number of potential issues going on there.

lone wolf

lone wolf

MS 200T King
Looking for some professional advice. Our landscaper was digging with an excavator to set a fence post and they were smashing and ripping at this tree root for about 5 minutes. It’s about a foot in diameter and very close to the trunk. I’m afraid he damaged this too much. The tree is about 100 feet high and very mature.
View attachment 829483
Ill say I agree! That is a bit of a problem now.