Help ID Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend of mine has several old saws. I'm figuring this one is a rebadge. It's a Montgomery Ward TMY 24084 A. It has a 20" bar and resembles a Partner. It is yellow. 3.7 cu. in. Rear handle.

He also has three Homelites.
1. Homelite XL with a 13" bar. Top handle saw. Looks about new. I've been wanting a top handle saw. Is this a reasonable option?
2. Homelite Super 2
3. Homelite Super 2 EZ

I think they're all auto models. I'll try to post pics tomorrow. Any idea what they're worth, assuming decent condition?

Last edited:
First one sounds like a McCulloch Promac 610/TimberBear

The XL is a great little saw, runs forever and ever, and ever!

Super2 is basically an XL with an extended top handle, and second trigger.

First one sounds like a McCulloch Promac 610/TimberBear

The XL is a great little saw, runs forever and ever, and ever!

Super2 is basically an XL with an extended top handle, and second trigger.

Great little saw that runs until the crank seals go bad, then you sell it to the Amish kid down the road. That was my experience with the XL. I do know a lot of people that have had really good luck with them.

attachment.php

Brad like this.......Mac 610 is the same..

Wow. That black cover really threw me off. Thanks Ultra. Are they worth anything in good condition? What's a fair price for the XL or Super 2 in good running condition?
About ten yrs ago I got one at a garage sale for 5.00 bucks. I use it for small stuff and wife likes to run it. Only problem I've had with it was the clutch. Always starts hot or cold.

The S-2 is similar to the XL and others, but its bigger in displacement and I believe its 2.2HP VS 1.8 for the others.

Nice lil saw, I got $90 for one on ebay recently.

Homelite super ez

The pictures of the Homelite super EZ look like a Remington. Is it a rebadge of some sort?

I got the saws today. The little XL runs great. It's only missing one screw. I'm curious about the air filter though. There's a little black plastic piece that pulls off from around the choke level. The air filter element is tucked inside this hole. It simply sits in a metal opening with no retainer holding it down. Am I missing anything? Is this foam element supposed to be oiled or not?
221588553-M.jpg

I got the saws today. The little XL runs great. It's only missing one screw. I'm curious about the air filter though. There's a little black plastic piece that pulls off from around the choke level. The air filter element is tucked inside this hole. It simply sits in a metal opening with no retainer holding it down. Am I missing anything? Is this foam element supposed to be oiled or not?
221588553-M.jpg

221588601-M.jpg

221588622-M.jpg

221588698-M.jpg

The Super EZ was really nasty, had a broken starter rope, and was in unknown condition internally. I have no idea how long it's sat. She cleaned up nice though. I flushed the tank, disassembled and cleaned the carb, lubed the piston/cylinder and she fired right up. It need a couple small parts for which I started another thread. I removed the handle due to the broken mount.
221588468-M.jpg

221588406-M.jpg

221588356-M.jpg

Here's the beautiful part. I only paid $50 for both of these saws. I was really after the little XL. But it looks like the Super EZ will turn out good too. I haven't messed with it yet, but I'm guessing I'll get the little Skil running as well. The poor old Remington's going in the trash.

The MAC is by far the most capable saw you have there, it will pull a 20 or 24" bar with 3/8 Chisel as long as you dont bury it in some UnGOdly hardwood or something.

It's a little weighty for a 65cc saw, a little loud...but once you run it you are hooked!

Ive got one that purrs and one that would run if it had a recoil on it, and a coil...it got picked over by a freind who got in a bind.

That little XL will become a good freind...lightweight, torquey, and reliable.

Latest posts

Back