Help ID Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the saws today. The little XL runs great. It's only missing one screw. I'm curious about the air filter though. There's a little black plastic piece that pulls off from around the choke level. The air filter element is tucked inside this hole. It simply sits in a metal opening with no retainer holding it down. Am I missing anything? Is this foam element supposed to be oiled or not?
221588553-M.jpg

Nope, that's all it takes. I've never had one fall out and you don't need to oil it. Just clean it out once or twice a season and you'll be fine.

He uploaded them to a different site then posted the image link.

A friend of mine has several old saws. I'm figuring this one is a rebadge. It's a Montgomery Ward TMY 24084 A. It has a 20" bar and resembles a Partner. It is yellow. 3.7 cu. in. Rear handle.

He also has three Homelites.
1. Homelite XL with a 13" bar. Top handle saw. Looks about new. I've been wanting a top handle saw. Is this a reasonable option?
2. Homelite Super 2
3. Homelite Super 2 EZ

I think they're all auto models. I'll try to post pics tomorrow. Any idea what they're worth, assuming decent condition?

I also own a vintage Montgomery Ward Chain Saw Model TMY-24084A that was used by my late father. Mine also came with a 20" bar and is yellow with black bars and handle.

Attached are a few photos of my original 31-page (including front and back cover) owner's manual and illustrated parts diagram dated April 1980 for this and two other models. I've also included photos of the 'Features and Specifications' page 21 which includes some info that owners of these Montrgomery Ward models may find useful.

At some point, I may try to post the entire 31-page manual.

Alan

IMG_3114.JPGIMG_3115.JPGIMG_3116.JPGIMG_3117.JPGIMG_3118.JPGIMG_3119.JPGIMG_3120.JPGIMG_3121.JPG

Back