Help ID This Saw...Friend Asked Me to Repair It...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfA01

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I came across this saw in my friend's storage shed and she wants it repaired, if possible. Of course, when someone knows you are repairing saws, the line starts to grow. It seems that everyone around here has an old saw sitting around that they need fixed.

Anyway, this one appears to have some damage to the piston. I pulled off the muffler and had a look and the piston has some scoring that isn't too bad. Still has pretty good compression and generally the saw is in good condition. The lady said if I can't fix it, burn it! Anyway, if she doesn't want to invest any money into it, I might take on the project. If it's not worth it, it'll make a cool wall hanger. IMG_20180113_100406.jpg IMG_20180113_100410.jpg

I was looking at that front cover over the muffler and wondering if that was standard issue. I decided it was better to ask the guys on here and see what's up with this thing....

I don't know if this can help but several years ago I chanced upon a very similar if not identical chainsaw which had "Castor" stickers on the sides. However it wasn't one of the usual rebadged Alpina's: the plastics were clearly stamped "Made in Japan" but apart from that there was absolutely no indication of the original manufacturer. As the bar mount had cracked and nobody had a clue where to find spare parts the woner threw it in the scrap pile.
I confess I have never seen anything like that and I am stumped to this day.

I don't know if this can help but several years ago I chanced upon a very similar if not identical chainsaw which had "Castor" stickers on the sides. However it wasn't one of the usual rebadged Alpina's: the plastics were clearly stamped "Made in Japan" but apart from that there was absolutely no indication of the original manufacturer. As the bar mount had cracked and nobody had a clue where to find spare parts the woner threw it in the scrap pile.
I confess I have never seen anything like that and I am stumped to this day.

This thing is one of a kind...at least I hope it is. Maybe an Alpina. Doesn't help that it appears to have been painted at some point. I asked the lady what kind it was and she looked at me and said, "why you asking me? How the hell should I know?" Lol. She wasn't much help.

It's wearing an impressive roller nose bar. Possibly some clues stamped on the bar, or type of bar mount might be a clue? Pretty interesting machine. The bar is worth 50 bucks anyway, unless it is bent.

Some time ago I was asked to look at a saw with view to repair It was a Bullcraft & looked very similar to the OP photo's If IRC it had someting like an A438 model #as I was under the impression that Bullcraft was a badged "Alpina"& had a same model #'s I ordered some parts from Motoruf but some bits didn't fit with a a few "backswood fixes I got it running & the last I heard It was still a "goer" but wouldn't want to say yes It's a Xyy123

Are the covers plastic? I can't tell on my phone. It almost looks kinda cheaply made to me. You have my adhd peaked right now.

It's wearing an impressive roller nose bar. Possibly some clues stamped on the bar, or type of bar mount might be a clue? Pretty interesting machine. The bar is worth 50 bucks anyway, unless it is bent.

It was a pretty solid bar at one point. It is either a Polar or Solar from Germany. Can't tell as the first letter is worn off. At this stage in the game, I might be able to file it back to usable state, but I bet this hasn't made a straight cut in a long time by the way the bar is worn on one side. Chain is almost new though. 62 drive teeth, not sure on much else, as I haven't looked to see if anything is stamped on the chain.

Are the covers plastic? I can't tell on my phone. It almost looks kinda cheaply made to me. You have my adhd peaked right now.
Yes, the chain and sprocket cover is plastic, as well as the gas tank that is in the position of most air cleaners and the recoil cover is plastic. Also the flywheel fins are plastic. It is made pretty solid, regardless of its awkward appearance. Cast aluminum or magnesium case.

Watching this one too, there's got to be some numbers on it somewhere that might help.
No numbers cast into the cylinder. 608 is cast into the top of the carb. GAO QIANG and QMJX BH-29 is stamped into sprocket clutch cover. Other than that, I'm going to have to tear apart. I don't see any numbers in the crankcase.

Does it appear as if it should have a chain brake? I'm getting frustrated because it has similarities to a few different makers but I haven't found an exact match. I'm almost thinking it's a crappy Chinese knockoff of an older saw.

Does it appear as if it should have a chain brake? I'm getting frustrated because it has similarities to a few different makers but I haven't found an exact match. I'm almost thinking it's a crappy Chinese knockoff of an older saw.
I don't see any mount for a chain brake, nor is there any hardware or brake actuator in or around the clutch and sprocket area.

My gut says Mattel or Hasbro......:cool:
Lol...probably

Did Norelco ever make a saw?
It might be a test product for shaving Sasquatch....

Looks like what the baumr ag sx92 is based off of.
I think you may be on to something here. I watched a video on someone unboxing the SX92 and they have a lot of similarities. That would definitely explain the absent air filter on this saw...they are normally tucked under the gas tank and are probably very easily broken. Basically, the only thing protecting this engine from eating wood is a little screen over the intake of the carb.

Quick question #1... has that thing got a chain oil tank? Where is the filler cap?
Quick question #2 ... is the ignition module (I don't think it's got points) still present? If so does it look stock or messed with? Anything stamped on it?

That (broken) orange wire makes me thing this is a "frankensaw", built out of mixed and matched parts, which will make pinpointing what this thing originally was extremely hard.

Back