Help ID This Saw...Friend Asked Me to Repair It...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question #1... has that thing got a chain oil tank? Where is the filler cap?
Quick question #2 ... is the ignition module (I don't think it's got points) still present? If so does it look stock or messed with? Anything stamped on it?

That (broken) orange wire makes me thing this is a "frankensaw", built out of mixed and matched parts, which will make pinpointing what this thing originally was extremely hard.
Yes. It does have a chain oil tank which is located under the carb area at the rear of the saw. The filler cap is on the right side behind the chain sprocket. And its a manual oilier with a pump button on the left side near the throttle trigger.

The ignition module is present. Its stamped 8289. The spark appears to be driven by magnets that are positioned inside of the flywheel, versus on the outer as most saws we see these days. In other words the flywheel is similar to an old brake drum on a car.

The broken orange wire is the spark plug lead of unknown origin as well. The lady did give me a brittle old spark plug boot that appears to screw on to the wire. I might rig it together and see if it sparks.

Back