Help ID this Wood Please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jensen 32000

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up some of this wood on the way home, and it is SUPER HARD to Split! Anyone know what it is? Thank You! Mike.

Last edited:
Sucks to split, stringy and twisted grain. Makes the MTD style splitters work hard. BTW it gets worse as it seasons.

Thanks

Thank You. The only time I split elm, it was seasoned (old), and it was, what came to mind. It would be neat to have a chart, on "the net" That shows the bark and inside of the common North American Trees. I can tell Oak, Birch and Maple but after that, I'm guessing, Mike.

That's elm alright. Burned about 15 - 18 face cord of it this winter, great stuff if you can make it small enough to get in the stove. I take all I can get, but I don't try to split it by hand. Some trees aren't bad, but most are pretty tough. Lots of it standing dead around here. As long as the bark comes off the tree it stays pretty good for a lot of years, but it rots quicjer when the bark stays on the tree.

Latest posts

Back