Help Identify My Evergreen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliann

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I moved to a house in Portland, Oregon that contains 3 large (~30ft) trees in the backyard and I'm having a really hard time identifying them based on the needles and comparing to photos online. Can anyone help? Various photos are attached below.

Thanks so much for your help!

IMG_0049.JPG IMG_0050.JPG IMG_0051.JPG IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0055.JPG IMG_0064.JPG IMG_0065.JPG IMG_0066.JPG IMG_7077.JPG

Did you consider Western Larch? It has a larchy look to it.
According to the internet, the Western Larch turns yellow then drops it's needles in Fall/Winter. It's not doing that, so I guess it's not a Western Larch. Thanks though!

Looks like blue atlas cedar.
Maybe it is a Blue Atlas Cedar! I'm comparing to photos online and I still don't feel 100% certain. The needles and branches vary so much from the trunk to the tip... it's hard to tell and know what to look for. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep reading about them!

But wait--I think we're dealing with two different trees here, no? The first three pics look like a pine. The later ones like a fir.

3 trees actually (just read your post carefully). The first three pics, pine--but there are countless varieties of pine. Start by counting the # of needles in each spray, measure their ave. length, then factor in your area, and several other things.

Pics 4 & 5 make me think hemlock, but I'm quite weak on that sort of thing.

The last few smell like fir.

Sorry if that was confusing: to clarify... there are 3 trees of the same type. I took close-up photos of just 1 individual tree.
I'm looking at the Cedrus Deodara (Himalayan Cedar) and that seems like it's a possible match... as well as the Blue Atlas Cedar. Maybe it's a Cedar!!??!!

I moved to a house in Portland, Oregon that contains 3 large (~30ft) trees in the backyard and I'm having a really hard time identifying them based on the needles and comparing to photos online. Can anyone help? Various photos are attached below.

Thanks so much for your help!

View attachment 777324 View attachment 777325 View attachment 777326 View attachment 777327 View attachment 777328 View attachment 777329 View attachment 777330 View attachment 777331 View attachment 777332
Pine of some kind.
Only way to positively identify is to find the cone and check database for similar Pines.

Pinus thunbergii

Bark looks like Japanese black pine. Have a few on the back acre I planted 30 years ago as was unfamiliar with the variety. Planted as seedlings obtained from a Mossyrock WA nursery.
NO GOOD as Christmas trees as I found out as they grew so just let a few grow. A bit larger than yours and not as full, but in among D Fir and Giant Sequoia planted at the same time (90% of my Christmas tree plot 'got away from me' and are all now > 30 ft, one sequoia is already 18" DBH and over 100 ft tall)
If I get around to it in the morning will take some pic of the needles, etc. and post.

Latest posts

Back