Help identifying clutch on DEK 15HP Chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_oar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'm looking for help identifying this centrifugal clutch off a DEK "BrushMaster" 15 HP chipper. it is seized and looks like the rubber around the bearing is melted. The owners/delivery manual doesn't have a part number, DEK won't answer the phone, and I'd like to be able to replace it. Thank you!

do a search on ebay for centrifugal clutch find one with the same shaft size and pulley diameter rated for your motor hp or higher. blm makes very good quality clutches, thats what i have on my 20 hp chipper, its old ugly and well used and abused but works perfect

do a search on ebay for centrifugal clutch find one with the same shaft size and pulley diameter rated for your motor hp or higher. blm makes very good quality clutches, thats what i have on my 20 hp chipper, its old ugly and well used and abused but works perfect

Thanks for the advice. My first thought was to replace it with a similar clutch and not worry about the part number and OEM manufacturer specs, but I've never replaced one on a chipper before. Thanks!

they a re basically all the same, the shaft size, pulley size, hp rating and rpm rating are the variables, as far as rpm rating most all built for gas engines will work on a chipper, many are used in plate compactors, probably the most common use for the size your after, also another thing to look for before sending off your hard earned dollars is how it secures to the shaft some use bushings and bolt and washer in end of crankshaft to hold it in place others use set screws to hold it onto shaft

they a re basically all the same, the shaft size, pulley size, hp rating and rpm rating are the variables, as far as rpm rating most all built for gas engines will work on a chipper, many are used in plate compactors, probably the most common use for the size your after, also another thing to look for before sending off your hard earned dollars is how it secures to the shaft some use bushings and bolt and washer in end of crankshaft to hold it in place others use set screws to hold it onto shaft

Yeah I was just looking at that. Keyway size was another one I wanted t make sure was the same as mine. It is a 1" shaft, and bolted at the end.

I also need to make sure that the belt travels in the same vertical plane off the pulley as the pulley below that drives the shaft for the blade. Otherwise I think I'll be replacing belts all the time.

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

Adding this here in case it helps someone in the future.

It turns out that the clutch I need is not so common and finding one is not that simple. The specs: 15HP motor, 1" bore, 1/4 keyway, 4" pulley. I tried most of the major manufacturers sites, eBay, Amazon, etc. I did find one for $384 and a 10-day shipping policy from the distributor of NORAM clutches, but the price seemed unreasonable to me.

So I disassembled the clutch with pullers and eventually a sawzall to get the seized bearing out. The springs and brake shoes in the clutch look new, no rust, and appear to me to work as designed. (First time taking apart one of these.) The bearing was press-fit but then held by a welded cup on both sides, despite being also held by a bolt on the end of the shaft. The experience did not make me nostalgic for all my time spent in Chinese machine factories over the years - I ground the weld out and then politely and calmly got the bearing out.

The bearing is a 35mm x 50mm x 20mm, and I found one in stock on Amazon for $25.00. It arrives sometime between today and Christmas, and I'll press it in and report back to see if it made a difference.

Thank you to everyone who has helped.

It looks like the bearing replacement failed, the clutch still does not function correctly. I'm pretty leery of ordering from GXI, no answer to emails or repeated phone calls. Such is the life of ending up with a Chinese machine that has a knock-off Honda clone as an engine . . .

Back