• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Help Making a Birdhouse

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
I saw this on eBay and want to make one. I've not seen another like it before... I love the little perch in front and the side vents.
The seller said it's about 5" x 8"
I can figure out the size of the pieces and the assembly order, I think, but what kind of tools do I need?
I have a lot of old tools that belonged to my dad, haven't looked at them in years, but pretty sure there are a few jig saws - if they even still work. If not I can buy what I need.
I'm afraid of skill saws, table saws, etc... so the simpler the better for me.
What else do I need? maybe some clamps to hold the wood while cutting?

Oh, and what do I need to make the hole?

I'm a pretty crafty person, I've just never worked with wood much.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg

holeycow

Addicted to ArboristSite
If you want particular birds to inhabit your birdhouse there are critical dimensions that are, well, critical or the birdhouse will not be a house for birds..

do some research to get that right.

all you need is a small handsaw and a drill, some nails and waterproof glue. You can clamp with rope/string/weight, etc..

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
If you want particular birds to inhabit your birdhouse there are critical dimensions that are, well, critical or the birdhouse will not be a house for birds..
Yes, I've read that. And I'm sure there is plenty of scientific data to prove it.. but... there were no specific dimensions for the birdhouses I made from my gourds - gourds were various sizes and I just eyeballed the holes. Pretty sure all are occupied. I saw a woodpecker investigating one. :)
I have house wrens living in a coconut shell bird toy hanging in a corner of the front porch, and another nest in the middle of a pile of gourds on an unused lawn chair.
I know you're right, but I really don't care what type of birds move in - Starlings would be fine with me, too.

BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast

Addicted to ArboristSite
Get a battery drill. If you get ryobi from homeless despot then you can get additional tools that use the same battery. Not the same quality as dewalt/milwaukee etc, but good enough for your needs.
A small handsaw, japanese style that cuts on the pull stroke, and a couple of clamps is all you need.
Youll also need some drill bits to drill the hole for the perch and a hole saw (fancy drill bit that fits on the drill) to drill the entry hole. Oh, and sandpaper.
If my 10 yo scouts can figure it out, you can as well.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Get a battery drill. If you get ryobi from homeless despot then you can get additional tools that use the same battery. Not the same quality as dewalt/milwaukee etc, but good enough for your needs.
A small handsaw, japanese style that cuts on the pull stroke, and a couple of clamps is all you need.
Youll also need some drill bits to drill the hole for the perch and a hole saw (fancy drill bit that fits on the drill) to drill the entry hole. Oh, and sandpaper.
If my 10 yo scouts can figure it out, you can as well.
I have my battery sawsall, Porter Cable. Came with a "skill" saw and a drill, never used either. I have a B&D chargeable drill I use, but it doesn't have much power.
Do you think I can get the hole saw bit for the PC drill?
Exactly what hand saw do you recommend? "C" clamps?

Right now I just want to make a cute little, functional birdhouse.
If this one isn't too difficult, I'll get more technical with specifications on the next one. :yes: