Help me choose a chain please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have two old 48" Granberg mills that I would like to use on redwood and Douglas fir. I will also be buying a smaller lighter mill but for now I need help choosing a chain. The big mills came with 404 and 3/8 ripping chains. Which should I use?

BTW if anyone wants a 48" cut mill that uses a 60" bar I'll sell it for $100.00 but you have to pick it up.

I'm not as expert as some guys here but being left coast as well... ,mill similar trees.
I cut lots of Western cedar and fir/hem for timber framing.... Without need of a fine face finish, I don't bother with Ripping chains and special grinds.
Your redwood you can cut easily with almost anything.. Fir can be a gummy PIA. Remove bark when it's easy to and that helps.

.404 semi/micro chisel for all my milling. It cuts faster than ripping chain and sharpens like any other chain.
The bigger chippers of .404 are easier to sharpen (imo) and hold up better to debris in bark and around the job (sand bits etc..).... I don't worry about kerf loss from .404 (only making 5-6 "rips" per long... how much can you lose?)
I've tried milling with square grind full chisel as I keep it on my falling saw.... Definitely mills faster but standard micro holds up longer between sharpening.
Doug fir/hemlock is a ***** for csm. It's not that hard but is stubborn and sappy. Nice strong timber though and we have lots of it.
Keep the chain extra well oiled when milling Fir and it helps keep the sap moving. That stuff gets hot and it welds on to the bar.

What powerhead are you planning on using ?

If I remember right he’s got an 88 and 090. If I was closer I’d grab the 48” mill just to have one again in case.

The 404 will last longer between sharpening. I always use square ground stuff since it’s so much faster and I don’t mind touching it up on the bar as long as I don’t hit metal.

Latest posts

Back