Help Me Decide.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying, I am a hobbyist, I don't make money with my saws, unless I flip them. With that said, I'm also a long time gearhead, and follow the teachings of Tim Taylor's theory of MORE POWER!

So I know there are countless threads on the MS880 vs the 3120xp, but I have one other caveat to decide between.

My wife for Father's day told me she would buy me whatever pole saw I wanted or put that money towards the purchase of either an MS880 or a 3120xp.

Believe it or not, I was really leaning towards the pole saw, but then reading about how they are discontinuing the monster saws, and how they are on my dream saw list, I am thinking, now may be the time.

So if you were in this position, what would you do? The pole saw would be the most useful and least expensive, but the big saws would be more fun, would be useful on a few of my biggest hickory and oak trees, and one day I would like to do some milling.

I'd buy the pole saw and save up for a ported 395xp. Actually, you could probably get a hot 395 AND a pole saw for the price of a 120cc saw. The really big saws are kinda cool, but it's a rare situation where one is actually a better choice than a 395.

If you choose a pull saw make sure to get the HT131. I own one and love it, my shop also sells a ton of them.
I did look at those. Its hard to know which ones are good and which ones are junk, the reviews on pole saws seem to be all over the place.

Ht250, biggest 4mix extendable, Husqvarna battery. Wait on the monster.
The HT250 sounds good, but I will need an extendable. Some of my trees are too tall even when standing on a ladder.

What us the most powerful extendable pole saw, whether it is a 4mix or standard 2 stroke configuration?

I'd buy the pole saw and save up for a ported 395xp. Actually, you could probably get a hot 395 AND a pole saw for the price of a 120cc saw. The really big saws are kinda cool, but it's a rare situation where one is actually a better choice than a 395.
I have been keeping an eye out for a 395 also, but the prices don't seem much better than I have seen on the 1320xp posted on here for sale. Plus I have a 660, although a clone, and would love to have a saw that makes it look small. I know, first world problems.

The larger 4 mix is around 35cc. Mine is a prior gearbox and 3/8 mini chain. It works well, cuts smooth. The sprocket I believe is floating driven by discs under pressure. Should be able to get away from the mini 1/4 chain stock now. Echo I think is 25 or 27cc. It has been at least 10 years since Stihl had a 2 stroke extendable. They only extend about 4 feet. I believe Echo allows a fixed extention.

The larger 4 mix is around 35cc. Mine is a prior gearbox and 3/8 mini chain. It works well, cuts smooth. The sprocket I believe is floating driven by discs under pressure. Should be able to get away from the mini 1/4 chain stock now. Echo I think is 25 or 27cc. It has been at least 10 years since Stihl had a 2 stroke extendable. They only extend about 4 feet. I believe Echo allows a fixed extention.
I have very little experience on pole saws, I have used my dads, although I can't remember the model, but it is extendable and just standard 2 stroke I believe. It cuts so much faster than a saw has the right to do. I love that thing.

I bought an 088 Stihl that was on my short list. Honestly it's an outstanding machine, I've built an entire building with a 395xp and its a great saw but it ain't no 088!
You could probably just walk into any saw shop and buy a decent weed eater and get the extra pole saw attachments used ,or hell buy it new and guess what? you still have a pole saw ,WHO GIVES A S$%#%T !
Get the 880 or the 3120 and when the branch that was to tall to cut with the pole , drop the hole tree with less effort than pruning it.
I haven't run a 3120 but if it's comparable to the stihl either one would be a life changer, and trust me there are AWESOME 90cc range saws but they are not "out of the box " like the 7 cubes.
The first time I ran an 088 it had .404 full comp chain and a 8 pin rim with a 41" bar it dropped through a 40" Hickory log side ways( noodled) absolutely no problem.

I bought an 088 Stihl that was on my short list. Honestly it's an outstanding machine, I've built an entire building with a 395xp and its a great saw but it ain't no 088!
You could probably just walk into any saw shop and buy a decent weed eater and get the extra pole saw attachments used ,or hell buy it new and guess what? you still have a pole saw ,WHO GIVES A S$%#%T !
Get the 880 or the 3120 and when the branch that was to tall to cut with the pole , drop the hole tree with less effort than pruning it.
I haven't run a 3120 but if it's comparable to the stihl either one would be a life changer, and trust me there are AWESOME 90cc range saws but they are not "out of the box " like the 7 cubes.
The first time I ran an 088 it had .404 full comp chain and a 8 pin rim with a 41" bar it dropped through a 40" Hickory log side ways( noodled) absolutely no problem.
These were the types of answers I was hoping to get. :rock2:

880 or 3120

Get whatever makes you happier. Whatever you like the feel of. Or the looks of.

They will both run strong. Neither are “fast” ported they are faster for sure but i bet a 395 will outrun them or close to in the same situation.

As a 3120 owner i can say it is a heavy and big SOB. They have their “place”.

I also got mine in fear that i would not be able to get in in the coming years

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

If you have an Efco dealer around and go the pole saw route. I suggest the PTX27cc. I've had mine for 4-5 years now and has been a good tool. It is on the heavy side though. GLWP. Tim G.

I have an ms880, and there is nothing quite like it. My 461 is incredible, but the 880 makes it look l like a toy. It is a heavy special purpose saw. You'd use the polesaw quite a bit more, so that is something to consider.

If you have an Efco dealer around and go the pole saw route. I suggest the PTX27cc. I've had mine for 4-5 years now and has been a good tool. It is on the heavy side though. GLWP. Tim G.
I will have to look around for an Efco dealer. If they exist in my area, I have never seen one. Thank you for the opinion though.

There is a used but very nice looking 880 not too far from me for $1400, and a nice looking used 3120xp not too far from me for $1150. I could probably get either for less. Are there any years to watch out for? Or things to keep an eye out for on these when buying used?

Just to be clear, an 088 will stomp an 880. The 880 and 3120 of today are both pretty reigned in.

A very big +1 on the 395 & 131. I got rid of my ported 088 & 880 because the ported 395 would do anything those big Stihls did and was lighter and smoother. And a 125 beats up on those Stihls pretty badly when they are stock.

Don't pinch the bar on the 131 and you will love the work it can do and the workout you will get. I also have the HT250, which is NOT a 4-mix. It is a 2 stroke high performance fixed length saw that has way more horsepower but way less torque than the 131. The high torquevofvthe 131 allows you to put the bar/chain on the branch and then pull the trigger. This is a much more desirable way to place your cuts. The high strung 250 must be up in rpm before you lay it on a branch. Its main advantage is less weight. About 9 out of 10 professionals around here use 131's. The other 10% use Echols. I believe the Stihls have more power though.

A very big +1 on the 395 & 131. I got rid of my ported 088 & 880 because the ported 395 would do anything those big Stihls did and was lighter and smoother. And a 125 beats up on those Stihls pretty badly when they are stock.

Don't pinch the bar on the 131 and you will love the work it can do and the workout you will get. I also have the HT250, which is NOT a 4-mix. It is a 2 stroke high performance fixed length saw that has way more horsepower but way less torque than the 131. The high torquevofvthe 131 allows you to put the bar/chain on the branch and then pull the trigger. This is a much more desirable way to place your cuts. The high strung 250 must be up in rpm before you lay it on a branch. Its main advantage is less weight. About 9 out of 10 professionals around here use 131's. The other 10% use Echols. I believe the Stihls have more power though.
AGREED porting changes everything, but someone else is buying the saw for him.
Have you seen the ported,removable head ,120cc poulan 3400 ? Machine work and porting can make Heroes out of the lowly.
But I doubt they were going that route and if I thought a McCulloch 125 was in the ring I would definitely vote for that!

Latest posts

Back