Help Me Pick out a New Husky Saw! 555? 365? 572xp? Something else?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsnake

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy,

I posted a while ago about wanting a pro saw on a rookie budget to which many of you were super generous in giving me advice on what to look for. I have yet to find a saw, and currently am still cutting with my 2150. I'm done. I'm buying a new saw any day. I prefer to use a 20" bar or so and run 3/8 chain. I'm a smaller framed guy so weight is important. My needs are tricky. Right now I live on a farm where I am the point guy for woodcutting, and we heat 4 households with wood, and we cut (mostly I cut) 14-18 cords of wood a year. It's very likely we will be moving from Wisconsin to Washington state in the Spring, and my cutting will go down considerably, and the trees are different and bigger in WA. I want the lightest saw I can find that will serve my needs. I have been looking at a 555 or a 365, but this is only because they were reccomended as good saws that would fit my needs and I might find a used one at a fair price. Now that I have decided to buy new it's a game changer and I need to reconsider the model, but I'm still looking at the 555 (59.8 cc at 12.3 lbs) the 365 (70.7 cc at 14.1 lbs) and a 562xp (59.8 cc at 13 lbs). Thoughts and advice please?

Thanks,

Peter.

Does it have to be a Husky? If yes it sounds like a 562 would fit your needs. The 365 and 572 are too heavy if all you want to run is a 20" bar. If you're open to different brands and have the cash, the Stihl 462 is about the same weight as the 562 but with more power, that comes at a cost though.

Well as irony would have it, the 2260 wouldn't idle, and was very hard to start when it quit. I ran it for about 5 hours on premium gas no ethanol with Stihl synthetic (as I always run all my saws) and took it back to the shop I bought it from. The shop owner says it's scored. It ran this way from the get-go. I've known this shop owner a long time and done a lot of business there, so I hope it all comes out well. I'm thinking the best thing is to get my $ back and buy a 562xp new, although I have been considering a 555 as well. When does the 562xp get the new filter and does this really matter? I'm in the middle of woodcutting and need a saw asap.

So my local saw shop, where they deal in Stihl and Jonsered (but not so much now) where I got the used 2260, tells me to stay away from Husky as they tend to run lean and have problems starting when hot, etc, and he's trying to talk me into a Stihl. Of course he wants to make a sale and he has a particular point of view. As I look into issues people have had with Husky saws recently, it seems there is some truth to what he says, but it seems pretty minimal from what I have found so far, and the issues seem to be more from around 2015 and not so much now. I've also heard from a lot of you here who love your 562xp, so I'm guessing more than anything it's like a Ford Chevy thing?

They're both great brands, and you're bound to find a few lemons from either company. It's not like one or the other has a substantially better longevity across the board, though some people will swear their brand does.

Between the saws that you're talking about, and the size wood you're cutting, to me, your budget will determine the brand. I think you could definitely be well served with a 60cc saw for cutting under 20 cords a year, especially if weight is important. Yeah, a 70cc would be faster, but if you want one that is as light as possible, you're talking about the 462 which is big money. In the 60cc saws, I'd buy a 555 or 562. Shoot, you could probably almost buy two 555s for what a 462 costs. Also, if you're moving to Wisconsin, do yourself a big favor and buy a 562xpg. The heated handles will be really great.

PS: where in Wisconsin?

They're both great brands, and you're bound to find a few lemons from either company. It's not like one or the other has a substantially better longevity across the board, though some people will swear their brand does.

Between the saws that you're talking about, and the size wood you're cutting, to me, your budget will determine the brand. I think you could definitely be well served with a 60cc saw for cutting under 20 cords a year, especially if weight is important. Yeah, a 70cc would be faster, but if you want one that is as light as possible, you're talking about the 462 which is big money. In the 60cc saws, I'd buy a 555 or 562. Shoot, you could probably almost buy two 555s for what a 462 costs. Also, if you're moving to Wisconsin, do yourself a big favor and buy a 562xpg. The heated handles will be really great.

PS: where in Wisconsin?
I have lived in Viroqua for the last 9 years, but we plan to move to Washington on the peninsula in April. Since I will no longer be cutting wood for anyone but myself on my own homestead, I'm eligable for the Husky extended warranty of 5 years and this is pretty attractive to me, not to mention I just seem to prefer Huskies. The farm where I currently live and work has 3-4 Stihls so I have used them plenty, but I prefer my orange cutters. The trees are a lot bigger out West and we may well be harvesting trees to build, but I don't want to get a bigger saw at this point "just in case". I could wait until we get to WA, but there are compelling reasons to buy one now.

I have lived in Viroqua for the last 9 years, but we plan to move to Washington on the peninsula in April. Since I will no longer be cutting wood for anyone but myself on my own homestead, I'm eligable for the Husky extended warranty of 5 years and this is pretty attractive to me, not to mention I just seem to prefer Huskies. The farm where I currently live and work has 3-4 Stihls so I have used them plenty, but I prefer my orange cutters. The trees are a lot bigger out West and we may well be harvesting trees to build, but I don't want to get a bigger saw at this point "just in case". I could wait until we get to WA, but there are compelling reasons to buy one now.

Right on. I misread and thought you were moving the other way. I'm in River Falls, a little ways north of you. Lived in WA for several years also. Actually, the saw size by region thing is funny. I heated with wood in both states. Didn't need as much wood out there, and most of the trees are softer. In WA you see guys running 24-32" bars on 60cc saws all the time. In Wisconsin, I like a 20" on a 70cc, heck even an 18". If a 562 does what you want here, it'll work good out there too.

So my local saw shop, where they deal in Stihl and Jonsered (but not so much now) where I got the used 2260, tells me to stay away from Husky as they tend to run lean and have problems starting when hot, etc, and he's trying to talk me into a Stihl. Of course he wants to make a sale and he has a particular point of view. As I look into issues people have had with Husky saws recently, it seems there is some truth to what he says, but it seems pretty minimal from what I have found so far, and the issues seem to be more from around 2015 and not so much now. I've also heard from a lot of you here who love your 562xp, so I'm guessing more than anything it's like a Ford Chevy thing?
So, what is that dealer going to do for you. Money back? Allow you to deduct money you paid for 2260 taken off a new Stihl? I give @farmer steve more crap than he deserves about his Stihl's, if your dealer is not inflating cost of a new saw and willing to work with you, I am sure Steve could suggest a Stihl model that would fit your needs. Myself I only purchase Husqvarna, because of local dealers service and large parts inventory. Have owned a couple 562's and they should serve you well, if purchasing used would want an el48 carbed saw, new are 55a. 50cc saw 550xpmkII is a very nice saw. 70cc saw 572xp will pull longer bars than Stihl's 462 crap, unless you cannot lift a 572 :innocent:.

I'd check your area in Washington for what dealers are nearby and reputable, for any issue you may have in the future. If there a good Husky dealer nearby grab ya a 562 and let the fun begin..

08zuP6W.jpg

Back