Help me save my Japanese maples

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Bumgarner

Reaction score
IMG_4803.JPG IMG_4812.JPG IMG_4813.JPG IMG_4819.JPG IMG_4819.JPG My husband and I just bought a house. Once upon a time, someone cared a lot about it and the yard but it has been neglected for many years. There are two beautiful Japanese maples that are very close to the house. I DO NOT want to cut them down but we are worried about the roots growing under our house. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

If those trees cause problems with your foundation, you have foundation problems bigger than those trees. Modest sized trees don't need huge roots to anchor them, so they don't develop huge roots. Even trees that do develop huge roots, though, only cause problems in foundations that already have other cracks. They can't "drill" into the wall to start causing problems.

I'd recommend a light pruning to get the trees off of the roof and away from the windows. Get them to "frame" the front of the house rather than trying to keep them stunted and too low.

If those trees cause problems with your foundation, you have foundation problems bigger than those trees. Modest sized trees don't need huge roots to anchor them, so they don't develop huge roots. Even trees that do develop huge roots, though, only cause problems in foundations that already have other cracks. They can't "drill" into the wall to start causing problems.

I'd recommend a light pruning to get the trees off of the roof and away from the windows. Get them to "frame" the front of the house rather than trying to keep them stunted and too low.
Thank you! I am so excited I get to keep them and love them forever.

Back