Help: MS 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donald

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm quite frustrated and hope to find some real answers here. I bought a brand new 460 last year and after 6-8 hrs of use, the motor blew. I use premium gas with ultra stihl oil mix. The warranty covered the rebuilt. After using it for about an hr, the motor quit. There was no compression. I took it in to a different shop. They cleaned it up and said the compression is great. They even ran the motor front of me with a tachometer showing the correct rpm ranges. They didnt even charge me for the quick lookover and minor carb adjs. Then yesterday after making 5 cuts (15-20 mins), the motor quit again. I was so disgusted I didn't even try again. Will drop it off perhaps tmw am. I've used saws for a long time. I know enough on how to maintain and run them. I've had no problems with my other saws. It just seems when it gets "hot", it quits. The shop doesnt have any wood so they can't really test it.

Thanks in advance

Donnie

id check or replace the fuel line ,they get soft and colapse when running sometimes

Is your premium 100% gasoline? Ethanol can make short work of fuel lines, primer bulbs, carburetor components,.... If a premium pump is dispensing ethanol, it is more likely to be older gas than the regular pump, since less premium is used nowdays because of fuel prices.

Update: Found the problem!

The compression drops as the motor runs hot. He will order parts and have it ready by next week. Best part is that it is under warranty. What causes compression to drop? bad gasket?

Thanks for all your inputs.

Donnie

Latest posts

Back