Help, newly planted maple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dben

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Planted a colonel Norway maple in May, ball in burlap. Started out fine but has slowly deteriorated and now leaves are turning white and or browning like leaf scorch. Soil is watered plenty. Any idea what this is? Is the tree going to die? Not isolated to one section or branch C31D1841-0054-469A-92FA-D1827517BB2A.jpeg94B4443C-9D87-4D68-8EEE-9DB8037B997C.jpeg4F4FBE8D-B3CC-43A3-83C1-70F451E52179.jpegDC0DE081-FA27-4570-B3C0-3B06E6CF0F8D.jpeg

Planting depth looks decent. Burlap is off. Watering has been consistent.

I can’t say that anything points to a specific problem. It may loose its leaves a bit early due to transplant stress and then look great next year.

Others may have more to add but I will say time will tell.

Planting depth looks decent. Burlap is off. Watering has been consistent.

I can’t say that anything points to a specific problem. It may loose its leaves a bit early due to transplant stress and then look great next year.

Others may have more to add but I will say time will tell.
Thank you for your input. Curious what others think. Main worry is already has maple wilt but most likely cause probably is transplant stress.

Does the fall leaf shed come soon in your area?
May just be a bit early, which I wouldn't worry too much over.

Hopefully it handles winter ok.
I've had bad luck with flowers and trees surviving here. Even the ones rated to -40*.

Does the fall leaf shed come soon in your area?
May just be a bit early, which I wouldn't worry too much over.

Hopefully it handles winter ok.
I've had bad luck with flowers and trees surviving here. Even the ones rated to -40*.
I’m in Washington state. Fall leaf shed is generally around October I believe. Will cross my fingers next year will be much better.

Back