Help on loading big white oak log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve looked some. There’s someone here who would lend me his Alaskan mill, but I’ve never run a chainsaw mill before and I’m not sure I trust myself to be able to turn out nice slabs. I have someone in Kansas that will do just what you suggested. He mills it on his bandsaw mill in exchange for a few slabs. I figure I have to take it home either way, so milling it here doesn’t make it any easier for the truck. I’ll ask around while I’m here to see if there’s an easy alternative, but as of now, milling it here doesn’t seem all that much easier that taking it home in one piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don’t haul the scraps home if you Mill it there.

Is there anyone near your mom with a woodmizer if a CSM isn’t in the cards?

Traveling with the log will not be pleasant if it’s big enough for a table.

You don’t haul the scraps home if you Mill it there.

Is there anyone near your mom with a woodmizer if a CSM isn’t in the cards?

Traveling with the log will not be pleasant if it’s big enough for a table.

Found Someone with a bandsaw mill who milled it for less than what my guy at home charges. The slabs turned out great

I have white oak trees on my property. Only because the deer prefer the white oak acorns. I haven’t cut them down yet. I also logged white oaks in the forest here cutting access roads for loggers.

62b07d8f955bd04a7ef0e80499ba0b96.jpg
f1e139239f9557e3f386a7c77859a489.jpg
4187bb48bc88f82d327718e3f2817c3b.jpg

That's some good looking wood.
Was it pretty easy getting it all back home.

I’m make the trip in August. I’ll let you know how it goes when I get there.
Most the planks are 2 3/4. Air drying it down to %6 will take nearly 3 years.... how risky would it be to make a table out of it after 1 or 2 years?

You ain't gonna air dry it to 6%. Maybe 10-15%. Need a kiln for 6%, but even then, even after you "seal" and finish it, its moisture level will fluctuate around 10-12% in your house – drier in winter. I prefer air-dried wood anyway. Kiln-dried wood is dead.

Don't forget to seal the end grain if you haven't already. It'll check less. If you're drying it outdoors, I'd also tarp the top of it to keep the sun and wind off it.

After 18 months I might start messing with it.

Nice looking stuff.

I'll have to look him up. I'm in the northland's on the mo side. We run Walnut to St Joe on occasion and I have a few clients that do wood working as a hobby

I dont see how you are going to manage this without putting that log in an agressive weight loss program. A ported 60 or 70cc program will get that thing into shape. Only take what your need for matimerial for the bench. If there is another nearby sturdy tree I would find a big branch and use it as a rigging point for the chain fall or come-a-long.

I have white oak trees on my property. Only because the deer prefer the white oak acorns. I haven’t cut them down yet. I also logged white oaks in the forest here cutting access roads for loggers.

I would recommend leaving them standing unless they are in the way until they start dying.

Back