Help on ms362cm rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdanklef

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a stihl 362 m-tronic that the piston skirt on the intake side has greanaded into little pieces making the saw lock up.
Well on tear down the bottom of the case is cracked so I'm trying to find out what's the best way of going about fixing it I am in the middle of splitting it to put new bearing and seals in and possibly new crank

Attachments

• IMG_3140.JPG
    IMG_3140.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3141.JPG
    IMG_3141.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
Welcome to the site.

That's some pretty good carnage! In my opinion a breakage there would necessitate a case change. It looks like you may be able to just get away with replacing half. With all of that damage and the conditions that led to it I would be very leery of the big end bearing on the crank too. Good luck with the re-build and keep us posted.

Ok thanks. What do you guys think the problem is that it grenaded the piston? And what is a good cylinder/piston to put back on it

Update on the 362. The parts showed up and I've got the 2 halves put back together but now the clutch side bearing I sticking out just a hair more then it should do the oil pump is hiting it and won't let to pump gear spin how do I go about getting that bearing pushed in on the crank farther with the 2 halves together and bolted up? Thanks

So I am going back together with the 362cm and the case I ended up using is a normal 362 and the coil bolts are normal 5mm on the new case and the 362cm they are smaller so my 5mm bolts won't go through the slots in the coil

Attachments

• IMG_3210.JPG
    IMG_3210.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 9
So I am going back together with the 362cm and the case I ended up using is a normal 362 and the coil bolts are normal 5mm on the new case and the 362cm they are smaller so my 5mm bolts won't go through the slots in the coil

Put the coil in a vice. Not too tight to damage it. Take a drill and use a drill bit of the right size and drill the slots out on the coil. I did this exact thing a while ago turning a regular 362 into an M-tronic 362c. No issues.

Little tip, put the drill in screw mode with the clutch setting. If the drill bit “Grabs” the coil the clutch will engage instead of breaking stuff.

Thanks for the help. Finally got some time this morning to slap everything back together. The m tronic Carbs are a little tricky getting everything in place. But it sounds good running and now go see how it holds up. It's a sweet sounding saw compared to the 029-039. I ended up having to Dremel out the holes on the coil for the 5mm bolts I put new bearings and seals in it with a meteor piston. The cylinder has some aluminum stuck to it so I did the acid treatment on it and it cleaned up pretty nice

Attachments

• IMG_3215.JPG
    IMG_3215.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Could be a couple of things. Take the bar and chain off. Then run the saw at idle with the brake off and see if the oil is coming out where it’s supposed to.

Back