Help on what to look for on used saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAWFISH

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am going to go look (hopefully) at a used 046, what should I look for that might be signs of trouble. I am going to check compression to be sure it is around 130 psi, I would like to pull muffler off to look at the inners but I doubt the seller will let me do that. He said I can try it out at his house before I buy and the only reason he is selling it is his kids got him a new 460 for fathers day. He said that the saw has been gone through and been "woods ported" not sure what that is. He is guessing that the saw is about 17 years old and he always ran premium fuel through it. I do not want to doubt what he tells me, I just want to know what I should be looking for on the saw that might turn me away. Oh, he is selling it for $350.00 which seems like a good deal, I already have a 460 but why not add another one to the collection.

I'd worry about the "smell" test. If a man has a good 046, why would his kids give him a new 460? No muffler pull would equal no sale to me, unless you have a new OEM piston and cylinder in your "get it in order" fund.

Good luck,

ole joat

I am going to go look (hopefully) at a used 046, what should I look for that might be signs of trouble. I am going to check compression to be sure it is around 130 psi, I would like to pull muffler off to look at the inners but I doubt the seller will let me do that. He said I can try it out at his house before I buy and the only reason he is selling it is his kids got him a new 460 for fathers day. He said that the saw has been gone through and been "woods ported" not sure what that is. He is guessing that the saw is about 17 years old and he always ran premium fuel through it. I do not want to doubt what he tells me, I just want to know what I should be looking for on the saw that might turn me away. Oh, he is selling it for $350.00 which seems like a good deal, I already have a 460 but why not add another one to the collection.

Just trust your good judgement, You have ran a saw enough to know a strong one and a pos haven't you. Run the crap out of it and if you fell like its damn good and the guy is honest, buy it. If you feel like he is sketchy, or the saw is not so hot dont buy it!

I've been looking for a good deal on an 046/460 myself. I'd easily pay $350 for a woods ported 046 IF it is in excellent working condition. Well, I'd offer $300 first, but only if the saw feels right to me. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

For me in what I'm lookin into...

First,,I look at the outside of it,,,the bar,,roll it over and look at the bottom of it,,and you can tell if it's been abused...Check for cracks,,how much paint is gone off it....Bar toasted,,, burned,,oil troubles?? Then get into the inside of it....Pull test it without the decomp button on..Pull the cover and look how clean it is...If he wont let you pull the muffler,,start it up and let it idle,,turn it on it's each side,,see if it dies,,and hammer down on it to check if it bogs,,,check for 4 stroking....If it dont sound like it's 4 stoking good,,I wouldnt get it...
Just my thoughts and good luck!!!!!!!

Good compression, spark, bar not fried, chain sharp and cutters/rakers set up correctly, sprocket & bearing in good condition, chain not spinning at idle (weak clutch springs), cases in non cracked condition, chainbrake working and band in good condition, chain catcher present. Check the bottom of the saw for excessive wear - always a good sign of wear and age

First thing I check with any non runner - 1) compression 2) spark 3) fuel

Spud

You already have a 460 so you know what to expect powerwise. At that price I would pull the muffler, or I wouldn't buy it. Give your saw a thorough going over so you can compare the condition of the 046 to yours. Also do a pull cord drop test to estimate the compression (once again do the same on yours first at home so you have a baseline to compare to) and check out the air filter. If it looks/acts sweet, $350 is a good price. If it needs work then negotiate from there.

If it was woods ported correctly then it should have significantly more power than your stock 460. If the saw is not stronger than yours something is amiss.

130psi would be too low for me to buy. I would want it around 150 and if its woods ported he should have dropped the cylinder(gasketless) and the psi reading should be between 170-190. Woods porting means widening the ports of the cylinder to get more power. Do a search and you will have lots of reading to do. Unless you get a GOOD look inside the saw I wouldn't buy it. Unless the guy is a known modder, he may have messed the saw up when trying to port it. RED FLAGS.

Latest posts

Back