Help opinions needed on new home buy oaks w pool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammy schnell

Reaction score
Hi I am looking at buying a house in clear lake, Texas, near the gulf coast. A hurricane and flood prone area. We fell for this beautiful backyard (see pics) yesterday At open house and have to place offer by tonight. Pool was built in 1995 is gunfire and chlorine. Upon further reflection the haze of the stunning oaks receded and the reality of the probable damage done to oaks and possible future damage to pool and trees started. The chronic shade is not an issue for me as I am allergic to the sun (yes, that’s real, no I don’t “vant to drink your bloood”) I wanted online arborists opinions of this in the short term to see if we should even bother bidding. If we offer and win bid I will of course arrange an onsite inspection w arborist . Thanks for your invite. it insisted I tag someone so I went to the last admin post and selected some of you guys. Sorry if your not arborist it’s my first post.

Attachments

• 3C435C18-DA90-4F67-96B8-731425531661.jpeg
    3C435C18-DA90-4F67-96B8-731425531661.jpeg
    714.4 KB · Views: 50
  • F331D0D8-7F28-4192-9900-34C8B8F80B59.jpeg
    F331D0D8-7F28-4192-9900-34C8B8F80B59.jpeg
    772.6 KB · Views: 50
I don't see what the problems are. The home and the pool have been there in past flooding and hurricanes I assume so why is there an issue now? If the trees topple, they get removed and you start over. If you're not comfortable with the trees where they are, why even look at the property? An arborist can tell you the trees are healthy and a hurricane can still wipe them out.

If you love it, go for it.

Walk away from this property. The Oaks look fine, but you will be cleaning your pool several times a day or at least having your cover on all the time.

That is beautiful...thinking I would be bidding despite the extra cleaning needed. I'm going to assume it doesn't have a cover w/ being a shaped pool...that is always something you could add (auto-retractable cover) to help w/ keeping the leaves etc...from the pool.
I took out 40 trees this March where our shaped pool is now. I still have two Walnut trees (16"dbh) that I don't want to cut down (I planted them 26 yrs ago.). So far so good but this fall may prove different and I may have to take them out.

Non-professional opinion here, but I'm in Florida, have been through several hurricanes and also have a pool surrounded by big trees. What I have seen here with oak trees and storms is since their roots are close to the surface, they tip over in high winds, especially when the ground gets wet and soggy. But that said, we have 3 large oak trees on my families property and they have so far survived, though one did begin to tilt just a little bit a couple of hurricanes ago. Our soil is different from Texas so maybe take that into account. Here during storm season we just trim them to remove a bunch of the fluffy parts, so the wind can blow through and hopefully it wont tip over. As for the pool; yes you will be cleaning lots of leaves daily, especially during the season when the leaves are dropping, but if you don't mind the work then the shade can be nice. I got one of these and it is fantastic for when you're sucking the leaves out, it significantly reduces the labor required since it catches the leaves before they get to the pump basket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJ5I5J0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is a beautiful back yard, I see why you like it. Side note; if that one falls through, screens over pools also reduce the sun a lot.

Back