help picking mill saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samhop

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
looking for +100cc for use milling / stump saw for large hard wood
chines 070
husky 3120
import stihl 070/MS720
import ECHO CS1201
im leaning to the import's CS1201 but concerned about parts might be a sin to work that saw.
3120 should have the stones and parts going forward
china 070 quality ?
any help/ input from folks with experience running any of these saws
thanks

I have seen several YouTube video reviews of some of the saws you have mentioned with pros and cons for milling use. You may want to start there, that way you can see them in action.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

looking for +100cc for use milling / stump saw for large hard wood
chines 070
husky 3120
import stihl 070/MS720
import ECHO CS1201
im leaning to the import's CS1201 but concerned about parts might be a sin to work that saw.
3120 should have the stones and parts going forward
china 070 quality ?
any help/ input from folks with experience running any of these saws
thanks
Not saying it because you are interested in my 3120. But I think it’s a great saw for milling I did buy one of the Chinese 070 and it’s one of those get what you pay for imo. It seems to run ok but very slow chain speed, not a high revving saw. the Oiler cap will need changed it has a huge breather hole in it so using for milling all your oil leaks out. I was in my second cut with this saw and the kill switch had already vibrated loose not a deal breaker but kinda see where it’s going to go from there. 3120 cuts at least twice as fast but your also spending quite a bit more.

Just curious. Does anyone know a source for the echo cs1201 import? I'd like to look into it.

Buy that 3120, cost only hurts for a short time and having more than needed for milling is a good thing. You are correct parts and support is available.

so if $ was not a concern {wish that was true} and rooling out the chines clones
Husky 3210
echo CS 1201
Stihl 070 / ms 720
are the last 2 runners or shelf saws == im trying to rationalize the extra $

so if $ was not a concern {wish that was true} and rooling out the chines clones
Husky 3210
echo CS 1201
Stihl 070 / ms 720
are the last 2 runners or shelf saws == im trying to rationalize the extra $
I had cash in hand for a 3210 and 3 bars, chains, and some other stuff. The dealer told me to call back 4 days in a row, and said he didn't stock them and would be 2-3 weeks for it to come in. About $2500 for everything I wanted. I got mad and called the local Stihl dealer and he had 880's on the shelf. I wound up saving some money and got a 660 with 25" and 36" bars. So, if you are looking at 3120's, why not 880's?I do have one Homelite Super 1050 I still use to mill. But, that's just to show off that a saw made in the early 70's can hang with a brand new saw. I don't have a problem using old saws to mill.

I had cash in hand for a 3210 and 3 bars, chains, and some other stuff. The dealer told me to call back 4 days in a row, and said he didn't stock them and would be 2-3 weeks for it to come in. About $2500 for everything I wanted. I got mad and called the local Stihl dealer and he had 880's on the shelf. I wound up saving some money and got a 660 with 25" and 36" bars. So, if you are looking at 3120's, why not 880's?I do have one Homelite Super 1050 I still use to mill. But, that's just to show off that a saw made in the early 70's can hang with a brand new saw. I don't have a problem using old saws to mill.
My old 064 will mill all day for most jobs, used it for many hrs on a very nice valley oak that blew down at my cousins house a few yrs back, got 4 cords out of the top and branches! That oak was over 40”s on the trunk and the main stem was over 20’, made some of the best slabs you ever saw ( no pun intended).

Few things to consider when choosing milling saw would be:

Outboard clutch keeps the saw abit more cooler due to clutch heat is away from the case.
Aluminium muffler on cs1201 and 070 keeps temperature on the low side, muffler is the hottest part of a saw and when its kept low the whole saw will run cooler
Oiler capacity and manual override, 070, 3120xp and cs1201 has them. You can get away without using auxiliary oiler, cs1201 and 3120xp has more ergonomic manual oiler. Cs1201 pumps oil the most among all the big saws, that manual override is not a high flow switch. It dumps a load when depressed, kinda overkill on most applications. But bar size at 60" it should be useful.
Torque and power, this actually has to be on top. Strongest in the bunch has to be ms880 and cs1201, while ms880 has abit more high rpm power cs1201 has broad range and down low power

For hardwood cs1201 will outdo all the other big saws, softwood probably goes to 3120xp then ms880

Latest posts

Back