Help sizing a circulator pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish4Brains

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy a pump for my OWB. I am not sure which type to get. I am the manufacturer of the boiler so not much help there. Anyway the boiler will be about 125 ft from the house and there will be about 8-10 ft of lift. Not sure about what type of flow I should be looking to develop but I am running 1" pex and looking to use approx 100k btu heat exchanger in the furnace. Anybody have any expirience or insight that might save me a bunch of research and mathmatics:cry:
Thanks Brian

My OWB is 75' from the furnace and I also am running a side arm. My dealer reccomended an 011 TACO and a 007 for the shop which is right beside the boiler. I know of others who are pumping almost the same distance to the house with a 007. TACO may be able to help you have you tried them? The old addage that too big can't hurt does not apply to a centrif pump, it can be to big and you will have pump problems. too small wont hurt the pump but neither will it deliver the heat you want.

I was thinking along the same lines as what you are running but just havnt had any expirience. Thanks for the reply

about 6 gpm is fine for going to one building

btw to big of pump can can erode your heat exchange out over the years( to much flow ) and cause it to leak

Last edited:
Bell and gosset, NFR-22 would be the lowest size I would go but I would try to go with and PL-30 boster pump much better but like 2.5 times more money..... Check out granger for pumps.
it all depends how much head you got when you return to the stove....

Butch(OH) said:
My OWB is 75' from the furnace and I also am running a side arm. My dealer reccomended an 011 TACO and a 007 for the shop which is right beside the boiler. I know of others who are pumping almost the same distance to the house with a 007. TACO may be able to help you have you tried them? The old addage that too big can't hurt does not apply to a centrif pump, it can be to big and you will have pump problems. too small wont hurt the pump but neither will it deliver the heat you want.

Remember toooooo small wont pump at all (to much head)
I had some 007 thatwould not pump for crap, 100 ft + side arm, I like the NFR-22 for Bell and gosset or the step up would be the PL-30 I just love these pumps. read about them you will learn to love them, about 220 bucks comparded to 80 bucks.

PL-30B is what we use for short runs(100ft and under) and one building then jump to a PL-50B for long runs and more than one building....used Taco's had to much trouble with them

Thanks for all the replies. I will be running a side arm at some point.So I am leaning towards the pl-30.
Brian

Not much at all, My stove will be at the level of the basement floor
and thats where the furnace sits so less than 10 ft for sure
Brian

are you using 1" line?...boy thats a big pump 40gpm with no head...i'm not saying it won't work just could give you trouble down the road... i would go with an NBF-22..there about half the gpm

It will be close to between the BG 22 or the BG PL-30, your not going to be pumping to much with the PL-30, its alot better pump.

Hay ghitch75 we used to use tacos about 3 years ago, god they suck.
If you had an problem with the pump, good luck to get a refund from taco.

thats the reason we use B&G'S...you might as well wipe your a#$ with warrenty papers that the sent with them......they well say it's a kinds of things that caused it to fail than there pump...yes they suck!!!!!

Looking at my furnace. It is a 75000 btu 92% heil. On top of the furnace sits a box with my ac coil in it. The coil is in the middle of this box. Above the box the plenum starts and it is 17 x 18" I am thinking if I put in a small hx I would not want to be on the small side with a pump. Would you agree with my line of thinking?
So my thought is the pl-30 running a 125 ft distance to a 16 x 16 hx. What do you guys think? The other option would be a larger hx but that would require alot of work including a relocate on the ac coil. "Not verry desirable"
my house is a 1700 sq ft single level 2 years old. heats pretty well now with the 75,000
Thanks for your thoughts
Brian

Got a couple around here. Few big bell and Gosset ones, couple Grundfos (one works). One multi speed grundfos, but is doesn't work.

Back