Help: Stihl 025 Rough/Jerky Pull Cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garrett33

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Stihl 025 that I just picked up. It starts up, idles, and cuts well. The problem is that the pull cord has too much resistance, at each turnover it almost stops and hurts the hand badly to start it.

I just spent the last few days researching other this problem on this forum and others since it seems quite common. But nothing has worked. So far I have done the following:

1. Checked the rope pull, it looks and works fine to me.
  2. Pulled the spark plug and tried pulling the cord. When the plug is pulled, the pull cord pulls easily.
  3. Pulled the muffler and checked the screen and port from the engine to make sure there was not any carbon build up that was blocking the exhaust, there was none.

I've read running some Seafoam in the gas and/or squirting some WD-40 in through the spark plug hole can help get some carbon out of there--it seems like the problem is simply too much compression. I'd rather not take it to the shop. I'm handy and have some experience with two stroke engines, building electronic circuits, etc, but this is my first chainsaw so I'm looking for some pointers. Is the Seafoam idea a solution? Do I need to replace any parts?

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

How long is the rope?Is the rope the right diameter?What I am getting at is if the rope is worn it may be winding itself side by side instead of being on top of itself.If the rope is to short, you will lose all mechanical leverage possibly causing the issues that you mentioned.Also a crack in the rewind spool could cause separation allowing the rope to bind. Forget the Seafoam. Ken

I tried pulling it with it in the stop position--it was just as hard in every choke position.

I'm not sure about the rope, as the saw is in an upgright (flat on ground position), should the rope be vertically on top of each wrap (like a spiral/coil) or should it be side by side horizontally? I'll try to find a picture online...

The rope does feel short to me, but I don't have much experience in that area. Maybe I should just grab a new rope today on my way home. That or I'll measure it/send pictures and report back.

A lot of 025/MS250s are like that. Including my 025. It's not the cord. It's not the ignition system. Its not carbon build up on the spark arrestor screen. It's high compression. Possibly made worse by a layer of carbon on the piston combustion chamber. Mine does not appear to have much carbon there (I checked with a borescope and a scraper) but doing the math it does not take that thick a layer to have an effect.

I'll grab a pic tonight HarleyT, thanks everyone for helping!

ericm979, how hard is yours to pull? The saw can hang and be jostled from the pull cord with no movement. I have a bruise on my palm from starting it two days ago.

If there is no solution, it's not the end of the world. It starts on first or second pull usually, which is nice. I'll report back tonight.

G

I'll grab a pic tonight HarleyT, thanks everyone for helping!

ericm979, how hard is yours to pull? The saw can hang and be jostled from the pull cord with no movement. I have a bruise on my palm from starting it two days ago.

If there is no solution, it's not the end of the world. It starts on first or second pull usually, which is nice. I'll report back tonight.

G
Oh, to be young again!!

Common sense would tell you that if you pull and it kicks back that pulling faster and harder would be worse. In the case of chain saws it just isn't so. Pull that rope like you are trying to pull the head off a rattlesnake, fast and hard, not like you are petting him. Man up and try it. I am 71 years old and have no trouble (except for a couple race saws) and have had 100s of saws. Pull that rope like you mean it!

Mine does not bruise my palms (but I wear gloves). It is not kicking back. I know what that is, I used to show off by starting big bore two stroke dirt bikes whole wearing running shoes. Do that wrong and it'll hurt. I've had them kick back (while wearing moto boots). I don't have a problem starting my MS362 or MS460. It isn't that hard to start the 025 one or two times. It's the 20th or 30th time where it becomes a problem. When I'm clearing brush or trees off a road I often make some cuts then stop the saw while I pull stuff out of the way. Eventually I get tired enough where I can't give it a definitive pull and then the cord just stops. It would not be a problem for firewood or some other use where you're not stopping and starting the saw often. The usage patterns for the 362 and 460 don't require a lot of starts. I could leave the 025 idling but I don't like leaving two strokes idling for long.

It's been jacking up my elbow. The Dr diagnosed it as "golfer's elbow" even though I don't golf. It took me about 9 months to figure out that it was the 025 causing it. I got a MS241 to use for the same type of work and my elbow problems are gone.

Hi all,

I have a Stihl 025 that I just picked up. It starts up, idles, and cuts well. The problem is that the pull cord has too much resistance, at each turnover it almost stops and hurts the hand badly to start it.

I just spent the last few days researching other this problem on this forum and others since it seems quite common. But nothing has worked. So far I have done the following:

1. Checked the rope pull, it looks and works fine to me.
  2. Pulled the spark plug and tried pulling the cord. When the plug is pulled, the pull cord pulls easily.
  3. Pulled the muffler and checked the screen and port from the engine to make sure there was not any carbon build up that was blocking the exhaust, there was none.

I've read running some Seafoam in the gas and/or squirting some WD-40 in through the spark plug hole can help get some carbon out of there--it seems like the problem is simply too much compression. I'd rather not take it to the shop. I'm handy and have some experience with two stroke engines, building electronic circuits, etc, but this is my first chainsaw so I'm looking for some pointers. Is the Seafoam idea a solution? Do I need to replace any parts?

Let me know what you think. Thanks!
From rodge nesh what I do is pull the chain forward a couple of pulls and then try again. Seems to work for me.

Back