HELP.....STIHL 028av chain sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainewoodcuttah

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
have a 1981 sthil 028ave with the old style chain sprocket. this sprocket is not attached to a drum/hub. it is about the size of a silver dollar has a 7 tooth star on the front and 2 off set driving bars on the back that fit into receiveing slots on the crankshaft side of the engine.. stihl says NLA SORRY
what a crock saw runs perfect

does anyone know where i can get one of these sprockets. have searched e-bay lots of 028 sprockets BUT ALL ARE THE HUB TYPE AND WILL NOT WORK..

even a decent used one.......thanks

Here is an Oregon replacement clutch drum and rim sprocket available from Bailey's. Comes with new oiler drive gear, e-clips, inner cover washers, etc. Everything you would need to convert your set up. Just be sure to order a new drive sprocket bearing (Drive Sprocket Bearing DSB 37517).

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=RD+29917&catID=

I just used this product to replace a worn out spur sprocket on my 028. Works perfect, and even better now that you can buy the Oregon Powermate rim sprockets as direct replacements.

Last edited:
kit to change stihl 028 sprocket

found a dealer in pennsylvania that knew his stuff. stihl sells a kit

p/n 1128-007-1029 for about $40.00 that includes the new clutch cover with sprocket a new oil gear and a cover to hide the whole thing.

i'm back in business..:blob2: :blob2: :blob2: :blob2: watch out trees!!!

Hello,

Can you tell me what drives the 028 oiler worm gear on this Oregon rim kit?
Is it a special gear that fits the spline on the clutch drum?

I thought I had what I needed to make this conversion but apparently not. I bought what was claimed to be the complete conversion kit on Ebay last year but does not include a drive gear.

The Baily's item below does not list these other gears, clips, washer items as included either. I'm just trying to confirm the kit includes what I need.

Thanks

Here is an Oregon replacement clutch drum and rim sprocket available from Bailey's. Comes with new oiler drive gear, e-clips, inner cover washers, etc. Everything you would need to convert your set up. Just be sure to order a new drive sprocket bearing (Drive Sprocket Bearing DSB 37517).

I just used this product to replace a worn out spur sprocket on my 028. Works perfect, and even better now that you can buy the Oregon Powermate rim sprockets as direct replacements.

Holy fee seas! I paid half again that on eBray for the same durn part! Grrrrr!

Holy fee seas! I paid half again that on eBray for the same durn part! Grrrrr!

Umm, Teach, I am not sure what you meant by your post. Are you saying you only paid 6 bucks for the kit from ebay? I didn't think the $13 from Bailey's was a bad price. The $40 Stihl part was a little excessive.

RotarySound,

Give me a little time, but I will tear apart my 028 and take a pic of the parts included if you need it. The Oregon kit is a steal for $13. It comes with a new clutch drum, rim sprocket size of your choice, the gear that mounts to the clutch drum to turn the oiler sprocket, washers, not e-clips, but snap rings to hold it together. I know that it doesn't list the parts in the description, but I was pleasantly surprised to find them all included.

I had started to collect parts from ebay to complete the set up and later found out I wasted money because the Oregon kit has included most of it.

Last edited:
I called Baily's today and confirmed that it does include these other parts and yes I agree that is a fair price. I know from experience that most Stihl parts are quite spendy and I'm not at all surprised at the $80 price tag these others have paid their Stihl dealer for the rim conversion.

The other buyer beware with this conversion kit if bought on Ebay is that they may or may not include the drum gear that drives the oiler gear, not to mention the star washer that matches the spline on the drum. Anyway, I'm buying one complete kit from Baily's and an extra drum gear to complete my other kit. Thanks for all the info on this. Pictures added to this thread might help others considering this conversion because there is more required than just the drum and rim for the conversion to work which I think is the general misunderstanding here. Finally, Baily's could do a better job with their description of what's included too. The guy I talked to had to call the Oregon company and get back to me for the real scoop on this. Cheers

RotarySound,

The Oregon kit is a steal for $13. It comes with a new clutch drum, rim sprocket size of your choice, the gear that mounts to the clutch drum to turn the oiler sprocket, washers, not e-clips, but snap rings to hold it together. I know that it doesn't list the parts in the description, but I was pleasantly surprised to find them all included.

I had started to collect parts from ebay to complete the set up and later found out I wasted money because the Oregon kit has included most of it.

It's not much money to me one way or the other. I just rebuilt a couple of chain saws because I don't need to work and was bored. Just thought that some might be interested.

well 80 is a lot to me and 90% of the world

It was one of those deals where you get the parts at the counter and they give you a printout that you take to the counter before you see the price. If i had known beforehand I would have probably said "Oh ####" and let them keep it, but I didn't fell like the hassle at the time.

On the other hand they have since given me three good LawnBoy 2 cycle mowers that the owner didn't want to pay to fix. One just needed the carb cleaned, one needed an ignition coil that I got out of Canada for $20. The other needed a $3 spring that goes on the governor. I sold one for $150, still have the otheres in great shape. So, I can't get too mad at them.

It was one of those deals where you get the parts at the counter and they give you a printout that you take to the counter before you see the price. If i had known beforehand I would have probably said "Oh ####" and let them keep it, but I didn't fell like the hassle at the time.

On the other hand they have since given me three good LawnBoy 2 cycle mowers that the owner didn't want to pay to fix. One just needed the carb cleaned, one needed an ignition coil that I got out of Canada for $20. The other needed a $3 spring that goes on the governor. I sold one for $150, still have the otheres in great shape. So, I can't get too mad at them.

have had those moments.........

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when "personalizing" the rim style/size I should pick 325/7 if I am running a 26RMS-81 (20" bar .325 81) right? That's 325 pitch and 7 teeth?

These are my choices:
RIM SZ 325-7, 325-8
Up to 05 characters

375-7
Up to 05 characters

Last edited:
with a 20 inch bar, you might want to stay with the 7 tooth, but hey, for $4, get both rims and try them both

.325 pitch, I mean.

Last edited:
So I just picked up a 028av super that someone used to log a forest with the blade brake on..... The clutch cover is melted, oiler sprocket is melted, but other than that everything seems fine. I got it after work today and probably won't be able to make it in to the dealer this weekend but I'm wondering if dealers still have parts for this guy? Also, is the clutch cover a purchasable part? I've been battling an 031av for about a week now and figured at least this saw will give me a little break to devise a new plan of attack. I think I'll go ahead and order up one of those Oregon sprocket kits while I'm in that area and go from there, saves me a lot of elbow grease not having to scrape all the melted plastic off.

Thanks In Advance!

I'm not an expert but...

I don't think you'll need this conversion kit for a Super. OP was refering to an older 028,me thinks.

Latest posts

Back