HELP.....STIHL 028av chain sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just placed my order on Bailey's for the sprocket/bearings/washer/eclip.

I'll post victory photos or me crying if I messed up the order - or can't get it put back together correctly.

Which reminds me, I was wondering if there is a recommended youtube chainsaw repair channel for sprocket replacements? Do you guys have any favorites?

Thanks!

I'll post victory photos or me crying if I messed up the order - or can't get it put back together correctly.

Which reminds me, I was wondering if there is a recommended youtube chainsaw repair channel for sprocket replacements? Do you guys have any favorites?

Thanks!
You're in luck Donyboy73, one of the best, has your exact model:

Thanks!
I broke a clutch by hitting it with a screwdriver because I didn't have the tool.
I discovered a much better method and made a quick video yesterday.

Tom.

You're in luck Donyboy73, one of the best, has your exact model:

After watching this video, it appears that my 028 did not have the eclip or the washer. Wow. Wonder what was going on with the original owner.

This surprises me because the elderly gent had the original owners manual, case, tools. He mentioned how he took it to the local Stihl dealer for maintenance. Interesting.

After watching this video, it appears that my 028 did not have the eclip or the washer. Wow. Wonder what was going on with the original owner.

This surprises me because the elderly gent had the original owners manual, case, tools. He mentioned how he took it to the local Stihl dealer for maintenance. Interesting.
How did the drum stay in place?

It would be trapped inside the cover , but probably rubbing.
I bought this saw months ago and only started it a few times. Never cut wood with it. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that a huge tree feel in my neighborhood that I grabbed it (the 028) and my 025 and Mcculloch 610.

That's when I discovered that the 028 would get super tight after a couple seconds of cutting wood and would completely come to a stop.

But, there was no eclip when I took it apart a few days ago and the washer was not where the video showed. I'm glad you shared the video so I could see that. Very helpful.

Back