Help to adjustment carburetor on Stihl 031AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesReed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Need some help for those who know how to adjust the carb on this older model - Stihl 031 AV. I just rebuilt and have no manual to help with adjusting. It is a Walbro with a H and L plus an needle that one can adjust inward to open/adjust the throttle in more.

Here is what I do: First - Screw H and L all the way in and back-off both H&L 1 full turn. Start saw. Chain is really moving fast/oil coming out on bar. I slowly turn to the right the L (one next to combustion chamber) until the chain is almost stopped or barely moving. Next I trigger saw to test high speed. Saw bogs down when I try to rev saw up to check high speed and usually stalls out. :bang:

When and do I use the screw-in needle adjustment that can hold throttle open?.:confused:

Thanks

Now that's the ticket.

What do you do when step #4 doesn't work--can't warm saw up 'cause saw won't run?:bang:

It'll run here and there, but 30-40 seconds has been tops. Maybe 10 seconds otherwise. The rest is stammer/no hit. Just had carb off, diaphram was on upside down--no fuel at all that way. Three pulls choked, then 2nd or third pull off choke and it'll stammer/putt-putt.

jamesreed : you're forgetting to first set the LA screw so the saw "just" idles with the L screw out one turn (or 1 1/4 depending on your carb).... then adjust the "L", (and maybe the LA again) then the "H".

yes, look at the suggested Madsens link.

WadePatton said:
Now that's the ticket.

What do you do when step #4 doesn't work--can't warm saw up 'cause saw won't run?:bang:

It'll run here and there, but 30-40 seconds has been tops. Maybe 10 seconds otherwise. The rest is stammer/no hit. Just had carb off, diaphram was on upside down--no fuel at all that way. Three pulls choked, then 2nd or third pull off choke and it'll stammer/putt-putt.

Just ignore the warm up... adjust it anyway you need to to idle, even if it means winding in the LA screw a lot before adjusting the L, then back off the LA etc... Then figure out what is wrong with your H, or maybe your impulse line?

So that's what it's called--impulse line.

Now that I've become a master of the linkage, I'll go back in. I replaced the fuel line, hoping that was the deal. It ain't.

Back