HELP! Tree dropping some sort of pods or seed at a rapid rate. Is this normal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdaltman9

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi first time poster and hoping to get some help before calling a tree company to come look at my problem. Short story is my wife and I bought a new house last July. In the past 2 weeks, we have noticed one of our large trees that is in the backyard (one of the big selling points for us) dropping some sort of pod or seed at an alarming rate. I keep on blowing the material off of our patio everyday only to wake up to more the next morning. It literally feels like it's raining when we're outside. I've attached some pics. Can someone help me identify what type of tree this is and if there is anything we can do or should be concerned about with the pods dropping or if this is something that will temporarily last? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4238.jpg
    IMG_4238.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4239.jpg
    IMG_4239.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4240.jpg
    IMG_4240.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4241.jpg
    IMG_4241.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4242.jpg
    IMG_4242.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
Thanks! I thought it was ash flower gall dropping from mites. The weird part is we didn’t see any of this when we did an inspection or moved in last year. Will it drop every year like this and how long will it drop? It’s become a daily chore to clean these up and blow into my mulch bed. Like you said welcome to home ownership!

Hi first time poster and hoping to get some help before calling a tree company to come look at my problem. Short story is my wife and I bought a new house last July. In the past 2 weeks, we have noticed one of our large trees that is in the backyard (one of the big selling points for us) dropping some sort of pod or seed at an alarming rate. I keep on blowing the material off of our patio everyday only to wake up to more the next morning. It literally feels like it's raining when we're outside. I've attached some pics. Can someone help me identify what type of tree this is and if there is anything we can do or should be concerned about with the pods dropping or if this is something that will temporarily last? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
A chainsaw will take care of that.:laughing: Welcome to AS fellow keystoner. A yearly occurrence. I get the same mess from a sunburst locust. Make sure you check you rain gutters as the can clog up fast with the tree debris.

I don’t think my wife would allow me to cut down ha. How long do they typically drop their pods? Guess the previous owner did a good job at cleaning up while we were looking at the house: Good to know we don’t have mites. Thanks again for the help everyone!

A chainsaw will take care of that.:laughing: Welcome to AS fellow keystoner. A yearly occurrence. I get the same mess from a sunburst locust. Make sure you check you rain gutters as the can clog up fast with the tree debris.

Aw
I don’t think my wife would allow me to cut down ha. How long do they typically drop their pods? Guess the previous owner did a good job at cleaning up while we were looking at the house: Good to know we don’t have mites. Thanks again for the help everyone!
Probably 2 weeks at max. Just a temporary inconvenience for the shade all summer.

Back