Help tuning/diagnose issue. Ms291

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, first post here. I recently bought a used ms291 that wouldn't run. I cleaned the carb and it runs good but would stop if I put the dogs in wood and pulled at all. Then Put a new carb in and the same thing. Any advise? No scoring on exhaust side of piston or rings. No build up in muffler either

Does the chain stop spinning while in the cut? Don`t pull to hard while cutting. If you have a sharp chain you don`t need to pull, it will feed itself. Another reason for a stopping chain while cutting can be a damaged or oily clutch. Remove the clutch drum and inspect it of wear, maybe remove the clutch too and inspect it. If the clutch drum has lost around 40% of it`s original thickness it needs to be replaced.

It stops with very little pull. Chain and bar are both brand new. If it was the clutch would the engine bog or would the chain stop but engine keep going? I can pull that apart tomorrow maybe.

Well I pulled the sprocket off and the clutch seems OK. Not oily but was dirty cleaned it up and put back together. Works good now thanks for the advice might as well get a new clutch for it in the near future.

Latest posts

Back