Help what saw to buy!! (small saw)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow!

From DIRECT experience, I'd buy a small Echo saw 10 to 1 over the orange Husky "Poulan" saws.

We have two 510's, and have ran them for about 4 years, nearly every day. They are not all that impressive for power, but decent. (We actually muffler modded one of them a couple weeks ago, and it runs pretty close to my Husky 55 after doing so, still testing it, but so far pretty impressive.)

In contrast, I purchased a 141 Husquvarna, and couldn't get rid of that POS fast enough.

The very first time I fueled it it, the gas cap cross-threaded, never to quit leaking again. That goshed darned "O" ring would come spitting out if you tightened it all the way, and leak like Niagra falls if you didn't stop at exactly the right spot, agravating to say the least, and it ALWAYS required pliers to get it loose.

The engine would NEVER start after it sat for a while, typically requring 20-40 pulls, most days I didn't even bother with it, I'd should have just tossed it down over the hill into the scrap pile.

It had very poor power characteristics, and would start going lean about half way thru a tank of fuel, requiring an adjustment to the high speed mixture screw.

It WOULD NOT start if shut down and left sitting for a couple of minutes. You had to let it cool down, or pull it a couple of hundred times.

I suspect that it was over-heating causing the last two problems, because the fuel line and carburetor were fine?

Anyhow, any of the Echo saws I've owned were ten times more reliable than the 141. The 142 we just serviced yesterday ran OK, plenty of rpm's, but its a good thing it didn't have bucking spikes on it, because it had it's tongue hanging out running that little 16" bar.

The 440 Echo we owned was DEAD SOLID reliable, at least 30 percent more power at every rpm than the 142, and it NEVER took more than 5 pulls to get it started under any conditions.

The 142 is my second experience with the orange Poulan's, coming from a Husqvarna fan, I'm sitting here wondering what they were thinking putting their label on them?........Cliff

Imagine that - the gas cap cross threaded all by itself!!! HUH??

Cliff, if you had problems why didn't you return it to your dealer? You had a two year window to get it fixed under warranty! You did buy it from a dealer didn't you?

I still own my 141 and I have to tell you that there was a carb issue on them - and if you had taken it back to your dealer they would have replaced it like they did mine! I use mine all the time and clear shooting lanes and walking and ATV trails with it. Starts and restarts without a hitch. Its a great little saw for any cutting up to about 10-12" daimeter!!

Al :cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back