Help with burn pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO to burning used motor oil. This kind of advice, to violate federal law, is why I have Bwildered on my ignore list. Used motor oil MUST be disposed of properly (by returning oil to a collection point) and NEVER sprayed around the environment to save a few sheckles.

The same goes for burning tires! Patty I can't believe you would even mention picking out the steel belts. (Your punishment is to send me huckleberry cookies!)

There are legal, in certain circumstances, methods of getting your fire going. EZ-Fire gel as I mentioned above may be legal to use in your area. I think the faster the pile gets up to temperature and starts burning clean the better off but that is an uneducated guess.

No worries. I’m keeping my distance from the motor oil and tires. As far as the EZ-Fire, it is wicked expensive — way to rich for my blood. For now I’m just going to let it sit for a few weeks and see if it dries out, after that I’ll hit it again with diesel and maybe gasoline. I’ll be sure to pac a leaf blower to get it cooking. I’ll do everything I can to stay away from pollutants... pls excuse my 7.3 diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NO to burning used motor oil. This kind of advice, to violate federal law, is why I have Bwildered on my ignore list. Used motor oil MUST be disposed of properly (by returning oil to a collection point) and NEVER sprayed around the environment to save a few sheckles.

The same goes for burning tires! Patty I can't believe you would even mention picking out the steel belts. (Your punishment is to send me huckleberry cookies!)

There are legal, in certain circumstances, methods of getting your fire going. EZ-Fire gel as I mentioned above may be legal to use in your area. I think the faster the pile gets up to temperature and starts burning clean the better off but that is an uneducated guess.
People are burning used oil in motor vehicles by the millions of litres every day in just normal operation, let alone worn out engines, I liken the use of it to similar in way to mineral oil being used as chain lube for chainsaws, it is very low on the scale of incedence in the grand scheme of it all, AFAIK it's not illegal here.
Thanski

Dammit, I guess that means filling an old truck tire with 90wt drain oil and torching it isn't acceptable? Not even in Humboldt County? Dammit.

People are burning used oil in motor vehicles by the millions of litres every day in just normal operation, let alone worn out engines, I liken the use of it to similar in way to mineral oil being used as chain lube for chainsaws, it is very low on the scale of incedence in the grand scheme of it all, AFAIK it's not illegal here.
Thanski

He ignored you too - what a frakin snowflake hahaha. If that was the case all the sob on the powerstroke forums would be on my ignore list too (they are a bunch aholes and I wouldn’t have it any other way - it’s actually fun there messing around).

Hi guys. I am burning off a large brush pile today, but it is going very poorly. I am not new to burning, but for some reason this pile will not light. I’ve poured diesel on it and have used a few hay bales... nothing. The pile is pretty tightly stacked, but could be better. The wood is not super dry, but I haven’t had problems with wet wood before. It is a pretty dry day with wind speeds of about 7mph with gusts at 15mph. Am I missing anything? Any ideas on how to get this thing to catch? I am really stumped on this one — there just doesn’t seem to be any reason why It won’t go. Thanks

Were you in the Boy Scouts?
Go to the side of the pile that the prevailing wind's will blow heat through your pile and start a standard camp/bon fire as far into the pile as possible. Focus on that small fire,once it is thoroughly lit and making coals it should catch up on its own, if not, bring material from far side of pile and begin wrapping the fire with fuel.
You said it was packed pretty well, but anytime you are trying to start a fire, make sure that you cut the bulky pieces into less cumbersome pieces by trimming the nodes from each unwieldy limb.( Nodes, Internodal,may not be appropriate for tree application, just words I picked up in the early eighties from the Phototrons, and haven't been able to use it lately:)

No Tires were harmed in the making of this post!!!

He ignored you too - what a frakin snowflake hahaha. If that was the case all the sob on the powerstroke forums would be on my ignore list too (they are a bunch aholes and I wouldn’t have it any other way - it’s actually fun there messing around).

Wow 2 posts. You're off to a great start. I don't imagine you will be around long.

Were you in the Boy Scouts?
Go to the side of the pile that the prevailing wind's will blow heat through your pile and start a standard camp/bon fire as far into the pile as possible. Focus on that small fire,once it is thoroughly lit and making coals it should catch up on its own, if not, bring material from far side of pile and begin wrapping the fire with fuel.
You said it was packed pretty well, but anytime you are trying to start a fire, make sure that you cut the bulky pieces into less cumbersome pieces by trimming the nodes from each unwieldy limb.( Nodes, Internodal,may not be appropriate for tree application, just words I picked up in the early eighties from the Phototrons, and haven't been able to use it lately:)

No Tires were harmed in the making of this post!!!

I'm an adult leader and trainer in Boy Scouts.

Hang out awhile, you will find that some folks get ignored simply cause they are stupid and like to start ****, or try to tell loggers how to log... usually with poor or bad advice, or ask for advice don't listen get pissed when thier bs don't work and proceed to antagonize those that gave good advice...

Unless yer into being lied to talked **** about and trolled... then i suggest the 7.3 forum you mentionef or perhaps the firewood threads

Hang out awhile, you will find that some folks get ignored simply cause they are stupid and like to start ****, or try to tell loggers how to log... usually with poor or bad advice, or ask for advice don't listen get pissed when thier bs don't work and proceed to antagonize those that gave good advice...

Unless yer into being lied to talked **** about and trolled... then i suggest the 7.3 forum you mentionef or perhaps the firewood threads

Thank you for your suggestions

I have to mention that the body count is up to five in our mountains so far. The deaths can be blamed on snowflakes.
When snowflakes accumulate on steep slopes, avalanches happen. One death occurred in our county two days ago.

2 at Kirkwood In Tahoe

Erik

Back