Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with burn pile

Discussion in 'Forestry and Logging Forum' started by kcurbanloggers, Mar 3, 2018.

1. ropensaddle

ropensaddle Feel Lucky

Lol yes but i'm getting old you know :p

Jim Timber and chipper1 like this.
  2. ropensaddle

ropensaddle Feel Lucky

Kick KICK I said kick lol. ?Yeah we had them 9banded all over in the Red River Valley !

3. Dolmar Enthusiast

Dolmar Enthusiast Saw Stalker

Kickin, Lickin, it's all Leprosy...

Their all over the White river valley to. Probably the same herd of Armadillos traveling from up here to down there...

ropensaddle and chipper1 like this.
  4. KMatt

KMatt ArboristSite Lurker

2:1. Diesel:gas. Soak some finer fuel up wind. Wait a few minutes. Soak it again and light it. That’s always worked for me if it was an iffy to burn pile. But like has been, said dirt won’t burn.

This pile was at most 12’ tall and about 1/4 acre in size.

Attached Files:

Jim Timber, chipper1 and Drptrch like this.
  5. chipper1

chipper1 Tree Freak

That's what I'm talking about :blob2:.
    Looks larger than a .25 acre as that would be around 50x50', that looks almost a hundred long, but i can't see how deep, anyway:clap:.

6. 2dogs

2dogs Addicted to ArboristSite

An acre is 43,560 square feet or an area about 208' by 209'. A quarter acre is a little bigger than 100' by 100'.

I wish I could burn big piles like that but there are several air boards and fire districts than all seem to be the "lead" agency for any given parcel of land. (Virtually very business needs a permit from the air boards and periodic unannounced warrantless searches. If you refuse an air board inspection or request an appointment you can expect a SWAT team within minutes.) Fortunately for me Cal Fire is pretty easy to deal with. Same for the forest service.

7. KMatt

KMatt ArboristSite Lurker

Burned 3 more piles about like the one in the picture today. All burned well and we had an inch of rain two days ago.

Rarely ever do I get a permit to only burn piles. The piles are usually burned when the surrounding woods get burned which is usually every other year. What’s the most tough to get a permit for in this part of the world, Georgia, is a prescribed fire of more than 1,000 acres.

8. chipper1

chipper1 Tree Freak

Your right, I knew it was around 208x208 :dumb:.
    I have some pretty big fires at the house for bon fire(15-25' tall), but don't often get to do large ones elsewhere so I like live vicariously :D.

Dolmar Enthusiast likes this.
  9. Wow

Wow ArboristSite Operative

I've used a can with diesel fuel stuffed with cotton rags. Stick it in the right place and light. Then lay dry stuff on top and let her burn. Works for me BUT, IF, a fire goes out,, I stop with the burn because Ive noticed mother nature knows best. One time I messed with a hard to start fire until it lit up. Then before I knew it the wind kicked up and tried to blow sparks into the hay meadow. Containing that fire was tough even with Fire Fighting training. Either she goes or we wait. Now,. On the farm I make several small piles instead of one big one. Most time I light them on the Lee side rather on the Windward side. Burning against the wind burns slower and less chance of fire getting out of control. A big bucket of water and a water soaked broom works wonders on grass fires. Cotton or Denim clothes, heavy boots gloves and hats help protect the body. We were taught to fight fire behind it or From the Black. Many times I've swept it back into the black with my wet broom. Good luck.

10. northmanlogging

northmanlogging The gyppo's gyppo

Stay posted, we gots us a DNR burn permit...

pile is stacked covered and waiting, green Fir and Cedar with lots of rain and snow lately... shan't be long now.

11. SliverPicker

SliverPicker ArboristSite Guru

I don't know nuthin' about armored dillos, but I do know what you call a male leper soaking in a nice, warm bath...

Stew.

12. ValleyFirewood

ValleyFirewood Addicted to ArboristSite

13. northmanlogging

northmanlogging The gyppo's gyppo

As promised

14. slowp

slowp Tree Freak

You want to get the pile going good and hot so the smoke is "invisible". We called it "getting a good column" and if you can do that, you don't get smoked out as badly, and your neighbors might be more kindly. A burn boss would often be yelling about getting that column going whilst we crewmembers were torching off a unit. POUR THE FUEL ON IT. GET IT GOING GOOD N HOT!

One day I counted 6 mushroom clouds in an area NW of Morton. Those were broadcast burns-- not just piles.

northmanlogging likes this.
  15. JTM

JTM ArboristSite Guru

I used to sneak up on them when I was a kid. Put both hands on them and my butt, balance my weight on my hands and ride them suckers. You can even sneak up on them and smack em but you better have your head out of the way because they jump straight up in the air.

16. ropensaddle

ropensaddle Feel Lucky

Not to be a **** head but Armadillo are a southern critter, so's ;I would suppose they moved up thar from down har :p

17. 2dogs

2dogs Addicted to ArboristSite

Two more weeks and burn season is over here on the central Collyfornia coast. I have one more serious pile to burn.

Don't move here.

northmanlogging likes this.