Help with Husqvarna 36

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derailedbus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I can't seem to figure out how to get this chain brake operating. I got this saw and the brake band was chewed up. I got a new band and got this far but it seems like the spring is too long. Doesn't even seem like it's got room to bottom out. It functions all right without the spring in and makes an audible click, but as soon as I get the spring in it won't disengage the lock. The 2nd picture is with the lock engaged and it doesn't have much room to move.I'm wondering if at some point someone put in a longer spring and it was always locked and they ran it anyways. Was just going to get the whole assembly but I figured I could fix it myself.20190809_185341.jpg 20190809_185138.jpg 20190809_185341.jpg 20190809_185138.jpg

Derailedbus; get the side cover over the clutch drum, run it , engage it, release it a few times. It will drag at first but find it self and round out... unless someone has a better idea...

Derailedbus; get the side cover over the clutch drum, run it , engage it, release it a few times. It will drag at first but find it self and round out... unless someone has a better idea...
That's just it. I can't release the brake. It takes noticeably too much force to get it to move back a little and the spring is bottomed out before the little knuckle at the top can swing into the released position. It just doesn't click back to release with the spring in. The black plastic piece seems to slide fine and it works as (I think) it should with no spring in.

That does help. It looks to me like my spring is a tad too long. With your brake off, the spring looks like it reaches about where the roll pin is at the other end of the band. Mine would be bottomed out before that. Guess I'll have to search for a replacement spring and see if that's the case. I just didn't want the sum of the parts to equal a whole new assembly. Thanks for taking the time to send the pics!

The collar your spring goes into looks like the problem.the black part looks distorted.

Take that bend out of the band in the channel. See where irhunter's is straight in the channel? Then grease the heck out of the channel.

I figured the band would straighten itself out but that's a good idea. I probably should Greece it too. After seeing that a new spring would be $12 and not get here till next week I took a gamble and cut about 5/16s off the spring and ground it semi flat. That did the trick. There was also a sticker on it from my Hometown hack chainsaw repair guy. I still think he may have worked on it and put whatever Spring he had in there. That might not have been the problem but it works now And at the very least the break isn't on all the time. I appreciate all the help and ideas. Now that gets me wanting to get back to work on the old 66 from Yugoslavia.

Yea they can be a pain. I fixed more then 20 of the cheap husky saws when they didn't release the brake. Made my own tool. 30 bucks a pop.

Back