ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Help with MS290

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by jtrafidlo, Nov 17, 2019.

1. jtrafidlo

jtrafidlo New Member

I have a MS290 that i use on my property to fell trees and cut them up for firewood. I am currently running a 18" bar that is .325 with a non safety chain. I've had the saw for probably 8 years and I recently did the porting mod to the muffler that I found online. It does feel much stronger than it did prior but i'm still looking for more.

I think I'd like to run a 3/8" bar and chain and a 7 tooth sprocket or rim

I'm not sure if my terminology is correct but I need come suggestions on a setup please.

2. cus_deluxe

cus_deluxe Thats what she said.

3/8” chain will likely make it feel more underpowered honestly. a sharp chain is the best mod for that saw at this point.

3. mbrick

mbrick ArboristSite Operative

Why do you want to move from .325 to 3/8? What type of chain are you running? A lot of variables, but I would not expect the 3/8 to cut faster.

Wider kerf on the 3/8, and less links per given bar size with the larger pitch. So assuming chain speed is maxed out, the smaller chain would remove more wood faster.

On smaller sized non hardwood (say 10" cedar rounds) I find that my 50cc saw with a .325 21LPX seems to cut faster than my 60cc with a 3/8 72LGX. I haven't timed it, but the .325 does well. These are both full chisel but the 21LPX also stays sharp better. I have not tried the new 3/8 72EXL.

With a 56cc saw you're right in the middle but I would suggest staying with 325 pitch.

As @cus_deluxe said, a frequently well sharpened chain will help more. I sharpen every tank, 2-3 file strokes is all it takes.

4. Brushwacker

Brushwacker Addicted to ArboristSite

It should do well with 16inch 3/8. Not going to gain power but i find it quicker filing the chain and honestly when cost effective prefer the 16inch 3/8 set up on 50ish cc but i am not finicky. Longer bars you'd be better powered with .325 with the 7 tooth sprocket.

5. jtrafidlo

jtrafidlo New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up buying a Oregon super chain in a .325 and a 7 tooth sprocket and kept the 18" length. A sharp chain is absolutely key but I also feel like the saw does not hang up as easily.

cus_deluxe, Brushwacker and mbrick like this.