Help with oak identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellie smith

Reaction score
BNRHdp
Help identifying this type of oak?
I can't find a definitive answer.(tho.they are all around where I live in the norcal foothills) some say live oak, some say white oak, some say blue oak. The are characterized by an almost.white bark, and small spare leaves that are a pale
Mint or even "seafoam" green. They usually have a tall straight trunk with branches often coming out at 90° angle to the stump and sometimes equal I'm width (and even length!) They also harbor mistletoe in abundance as well as a pale green moss or fungus, in some climates, that almost drips down from the tree

I can't see the image, could you resize the image pixels down so that it will post? My guess (given your description) would be Oregon White Oak, aka Garry Oak, but you Californians have a lot of oaks that we don't up here in Oregon so it might not be. We certainly have the mistletoe and lichen (Usnea or Old Man's Beard) you mention hanging in most White Oak trees. Can everyone else see an image? Maybe it's just me?

Back