help with tree idenification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banshee67

Poulan Wild Thang
Reaction score
first one, ive been told is locust.. and from what ive read sounds about right, its like cutting iron, and is very bright yellow inside, is it a type of locust?
(ignore the poor sawmanship, i pinched (and bent) my bar on my 350 yesterday)
P1030281Medium.jpg

P1030280Medium.jpg

this next one i have no clue.. its in a elevated 20-30 acre feild full of those locusts (above), these, and cherries
alot of this kind are starting to die and rot, they are growing so close together, they seem to grow in groups of 4-5 trees right next to eachother all 50+ ft tall, they seem to be kind of light in weight(even the fresh live healthy ones) compared to the locust or cherry, and they cut pretty darn quick
P1030283Medium.jpg

P1030284Medium.jpg

Last edited:
All I see is locust and cherry. Some of the locust can be very hard yet others be somewhat softer. Sharpness of the chain is the biggest difference. Sharp can cut all day but get even a small amount of dirt mixed in and the cutting gets tough.

:cheers:

All I see is locust and cherry. Some of the locust can be very hard yet others be somewhat softer. Sharpness of the chain is the biggest difference. Sharp can cut all day but get even a small amount of dirt mixed in and the cutting gets tough.

:cheers:

that is good news, that means access to even more locust!! :rock:

the bright yellow stuff in the first 2 pics is heavy as hell!!

Last edited:
got me?

ive been cutting a lot of dead fallen locusts off the ground too, totally stripped of bark, must have been laying there for 5+ years easy, cut them open they are still a little yellow inside and hard as a rock! but burn amazing when you throw em on a fire with some good embers, the cords i have sold with the standing dead or fallen dead locusts people have loved , and some have called back for more to stock up.
heres a pic of the reclaimed dead locusts ive been scavenging, they are everywhere on this farm and burn great!
P1030285Medium.jpg

P1030286Medium.jpg

Last edited:
Where I am on the cape, locust is the wood of choice, more so than oak and maple. It burns hot and clean, never rots in the wood pile, very little ash, splits very easy when green considering its strainght grain and can even burn pretty well when green right off the stump with the right embers. Stick a couple in and they burn longer than the dry stuff and give off just as much heat. One other good thing is that when cut, they tend to grow back off the tap roots so in 10-12 years, go back and look to cut some more. they are weed like and seem endless in their attempt to survive.

The mystrey wood in the pic w/ the cherry looks to me like sassafras, but I could easily be wrong. I could tell you real quick with a fresh cut and a sniff.

Too bad you can't post smells on the net. (Or maybe not....)

The mystrey wood in the pic w/ the cherry looks to me like sassafras, but I could easily be wrong. I could tell you real quick with a fresh cut and a sniff.

Too bad you can't post smells on the net. (Or maybe not....)

thats right, im an idiot, i should have said in the beginning, the second wood in the first post has a VERY strong smell to it, i have a cap on the back of my truck , i had the back stacked tight with fresh split peices of it , u open that hatch and it STINKS, im not sure if its a good or bad smell yet, VERY strong, and smells nothing like the yellow locust in the first pics, that yellow locust smell isnt nearly as strong to me and smells kind of bad, the second wood is almost menthol like and very potent smelling

Cottonwood is mostly water, and usually doesn't lose much of it until the bark is off. It's pretty heavy green. Bark is similar tho.

Based on your description of the weight, the strong smell, and the bark/crosscut pic, and tomtrees agreement, it's sassafras.

:dizzy:
cottonwood man you did not go to school for trees its the first thing you learn tree id tom trees

HAHA! The school I went to was in the woods. I was going by the description, "It stinks". That's my experience with cottonwood but never Sassafrass. Most describe it as a pleasant or medicine smell. Guess it's all in the nose of the beholder.

HAHA! The school I went to was in the woods. I was going by the description, "It stinks". That's my experience with cottonwood but never Sassafrass. Most describe it as a pleasant or medicine smell. well the smeii is like swett they used to make tea out of the roots but aney way you can ysed it in a wood stove tom trees

i can definitely see calling this smell a sweet fragrant smell, very very strong smell indeed, definitly smells better than that yellow locust, that stuff smells horrible sometimes when you catcha bad whif of it
:dizzy:

Back