help with tree idenification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its not an oak its a chestnut oak they grow in groups often close together in large numbers , they have no Rhyme nor reason remember there not nursery stock , and being in Missouri how could you accurately identify a coastal tree being inland as far as you are , they are a fragrant tree agreed there but that is often intensified by decay and location , furthermore I have looked at the zone map and Missouri isn't included so unless you've visited than how would know that I am wrong, I would not question someone from your neck of the woods on tree ID ..if there was a tree that wasn't here in Jersey ..Have you ever smelled a chestnut tree pewwww..

I know because sassafras grows here, and there, and I've cut, trimmed, and removed plenty of sassafras.

SAAL5.png

And I don't really understand "Well its not an oak its a chestnut oak..." It's latin name is Quercus prinus.... It has acorns.

How is it that it's not an oak?

You are correct that I've not seen a Chestnut Oak. But I don't need to have seen one to identify a Sassafras.

Here is two more cents worth. locust for sure.other one, bark and smell say sassafras to me. Of the oaks I cut around here all have visible radial lines.The picture angle is not the best but I do not see radial lines.Don't turn your nose up on sassafras(pun intended) it makes Quick hot fires. Think spring and fall.

well its hard to tell because you can only see the bark not the grain I still say sas but I can see why it looks like chestnut oak to some.banshee feel free to jump in and settle this now because its becoming redundant more clues for the non believers please.

Last edited:
Well its not an oak its a chestnut oak they grow in groups often close together in large numbers , they have no Rhyme nor reason remember there not nursery stock , and being in Missouri how could you accurately identify a coastal tree being inland as far as you are , they are a fragrant tree agreed there but that is often intensified by decay and location , furthermore I have looked at the zone map and Missouri isn't included so unless you've visited than how would know that I am wrong, I would not question someone from your neck of the woods on tree ID ..if there was a tree that wasn't here in Jersey ..Have you ever smelled a chestnut tree pewwww..

I think it's cottonwood but you may be right, although; we have chestnut oak and prolly more than jersey does too lol. It is real hard to tell with just one picture and nothing but one view.
I can usually tell a piece in hand but not always unless you see the tree itself no absolute can be drawn on some wood. However some can such as: Ironwood easy to tell most usually, Black Chery, locust,white,oak most usually but these pictures seem to many times not give you a lot to go on.

i know i know, my pics sucked!

i hate to let this debate rage on without providing more pics, but i cannot get back to that spot for probably a week, we havea foot of snow on the ground, its been sleeting all night, and supposed to rain for the next 2 days

next time i go back i will bring the camera and take pics of the trees themselves, the tops, branches . etc.. ill get some good ones i promise:greenchainsaw:

i know i know, my pics sucked!

i hate to let this debate rage on without providing more pics, but i cannot get back to that spot for probably a week, we havea foot of snow on the ground, its been sleeting all night, and supposed to rain for the next 2 days

next time i go back i will bring the camera and take pics of the trees themselves, the tops, branches . etc.. ill get some good ones i promise:greenchainsaw:

Just a question; as the tree nears the top do the branches appear whitish and slick? At thee tips do they appear green with very pronounced lenticels ?

banshee its simple is it heavy or light for its size? does it smell good or bad ? you must know what oak looks like is it oak ? does it have bark that comes off easy and shows orange underneath?does it cut easy or like oak?

I don't think it is oak, I do think it's cottonwood which cuts just as easy as Sassafras but admit it is possibly it too.

banshee its simple is it heavy or light for its size? does it smell good or bad ? you must know what oak looks like is it oak ? does it have bark that comes off easy and shows orange underneath?does it cut easy or like oak?

definitely light for its size
yes it smells good , VERY STRONG , definitely one of the more pleasant wood odors that ive smelled(not as good as birch :D ) much better than some white oak or locust or dogwood of course
i dont know a lot about trees, but i honestly dont see this being an oak tree at all, we have lots of oak trees around here where i live which is much more northern NJ, ive never seen any of these trees in question untill i went to monmouth county, they are everywhere on this property, but ive never seen them around here
it cuts very easy, and splits even easier, i was splitting huge rounds by hand maul, not rotton either
as for the bark coming off easy, and being orange underneath, im not so sure, i only split about a half cord of it this past weekend, but it seemed to hold onto the bark pretty good.. as for orange underneath, ill do some investigating tomorrow, i have a little split stack outside, ill snap some b etter pictures of, before i can get back tot he property for actual pics of the trees, maybe some better pics tomorrow of my split pile will clear this up and end the war! :D

Last edited:
Got paypal?

Ten spot?

:hmm3grin2orange:

Easy hoss the cutter said it smelled good so I guess unless his smeller is off it ain't cottonwood as we know what it smells like lol. Still could be sas the swamp oak we have here looks much like white oak though. Chinkipin oak here too but I can't remember what the wood looked like!

I'm just funnin...

But I'd pay up if I turned out to be wrong. Between the pic, description of growth pattern, description of strong good smell, description of green weight of wood I really don't see any way this can be oak.

If I'm wrong you can all make fun of me and ill take it like a man.

I'm just funnin...

But I'd pay up if I turned out to be wrong. Between the pic, description of growth pattern, description of strong good smell, description of green weight of wood I really don't see any way this can be oak.

If I'm wrong you can all make fun of me and ill take it like a man.

I would like to see the twigs and stems before placing a 10 spot down lol:cheers:
I agree though, oak is heavy maybe his nose were stopped up from the locust lmfao:cheers:

definitely light for its size
yes it smells good , VERY STRONG , definitely one of the more pleasant wood odors that ive smelled(not as good as birch :D ) much better than some white oak or locust or dogwood of course
i dont know a lot about trees, but i honestly dont see this being an oak tree at all, we have lots of oak trees around here where i live which is much more northern NJ, ive never seen any of these trees in question untill i went to monmouth county, they are everywhere on this property, but ive never seen them around here
it cuts very easy, and splits even easier, i was splitting huge rounds by hand maul, not rotton either
as for the bark coming off easy, and being orange underneath, im not so sure, i only split about a half cord of it this past weekend, but it seemed to hold onto the bark pretty good.. as for orange underneath, ill do some investigating tomorrow, i have a little split stack outside, ill snap some b etter pictures of, before i can get back tot he property for actual pics of the trees, maybe some better pics tomorrow of my split pile will clear this up and end the war! :D
now all you have to do is burn a piece and tell me if it pops a lot while burning.

Latest posts

Back