help with tree idenification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will take some bets I still say its sas banshee drop me off a log if this thing gets to the point where we will bet on it its sas.also did it make a large mess when dropped on the ground because the branches are brittle unlike oak?

10-4 ! huge mess, they explode on impact
even the big leads will split right down the middle sometimes (saving me half the work):)

im gona go snap some more pics of the wood in question, right now, ill have them up in a few mins

ill take all the pics down, drop you off a round to study, and then you split the winnings from the bets with me? :D

Last edited:
ok guys, more pics! these should help i hope!
(this pile of split XXXXX sat in the rain all day yesterday so it got a little darker color as you can tell in the second picture)

P1030289Medium.jpg

P1030288Medium.jpg

P1030291Medium.jpg

Last edited:
That there is surely chestnut oak , I have pics from today of a storm tree we removed which is no doubt sassafras I also have pics of a beautiful chestnut oak growing in the rear of my house ' I am going right now to snap some pics and will post all of my findings this evening after my wife leaves for work ...

That there is surely chestnut oak , I have pics from today of a storm tree we removed which is no doubt sassafras I also have pics of a beautiful chestnut oak growing in the rear of my house ' I am going right now to snap some pics and will post all of my findings this evening after my wife leaves for work ...

:bang::dizzy: maybe its sumac

picture.php
Chestnut oak look familiar..

You should get your eyes checked. And the immature sassafras bark you posted is accurate. Funny how it matures into the bark in the OP....

And still wondering how visible the rays will be on the end cut of the chestnut oak (is it really not an oak?). Because they seem to be invisible on the sassafras in the OP.

Back