Helper handle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, the only bars that I have, made for helper handles, look like this, and are hard nose. I'm sure newer bars have different patterns, but would still need to be drilled, unless they have some sort of clamping method. Don't know too many folks that use them. Hopefully some one can better help you.
4laqa2f.jpg

Jim, the only bars that I have, made for helper handles, look like this, and are hard nose. I'm sure newer bars have different patterns, but would still need to be drilled, unless they have some sort of clamping method. Don't know too many folks that use them. Hopefully some one can better help you.
4laqa2f.jpg
Rare fish
Thanks for the reply - I'm putting a 59 inch bar on the 880. The bar has the sprocket on the end. Not sure if I need to remove the sprocket and since the bar if four hundred bucks I don't want to take a chance of screwing it up
Maybe I don't need to mess with the helper hand - what's the longest bar you have run?

I had a 52 but sold it. My longest now is a 45. I don't use a helper handle, I feel it's kind of like having a winch. If the helper is pulling hard enough that you can't "feel" the saw, it might stress the saw as it starts to dull. The 880 is a nice saw, I mostly use the 660 now, but if I need the 45" bar I use one of my Homelite Super 1050's. They are 100CC's. Still not up there with the 880.

You need to get one of the guys that run sprocket nose bars, BobL is the man to got to. I think they drill out the bolt in the middle of the sprocket and use that as the attachment point.

You need to get one of the guys that run sprocket nose bars, BobL is the man to got to. I think they drill out the bolt in the middle of the sprocket and use that as the attachment point.
Thanks for the info. Just getting into this adventure and the further down the road "advice is much

You may be able to use a helper handle on a standard bar, but I believe that most helper handles are designed to be used with double ended bars, that only have a power head on one end.

I could be wrong, and maybe someone knows of a handle designed for a standard bar

you may be able to drill some mounting holes in a standard bar and make a handle work, I have never tried it, and am not familiar with the bolt mount pattern of the typical handle

Good Luck finding something that works for you

Doug :cheers:

Jim, I just went through a few pages of the "milling 101" stickie. I didn't see any pics of helper handles, but, I saw one of my all time favorites. BobL, sitting in a chair with a cold drink, while his saw was self feeding through a big piece of Aussie hard wood. Getting the log up on one end and a sharp chain are all you really need.

Turns out, Granberg does offer a Helper Handle for standard bars, here is what I found on their website

I have been very Happy with the design and quality of construction of my Granberg milling equipment, and it is AMERICAN MADE :dancing::happybanana:

helper-handle-g971-1.jpg

HELPER HANDLE – G971
$59.00

HELPER HANDLE

HELPER HANDLE - G971 quantity
SKU: G971 Categories: ALASKAN® MILL, ADD-ONS, Helper Handle

DESCRIPTION
This sturdy aluminum handle bolts to the end of a standard saw bar for extra control and safety for the outboard end of the Alaskan mill. Requires the drilling of two holes for mounting.

Hope this helps

Doug :cheers:

Back