Helping an old friend out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MVC-002S_22.JPG

Quite a bit of wood in this one area. That tree on the right was the worst leaner as all the weight was going the wrong way. Winch got it where he wanted though.

I got for Kevin as the finest photojournalist/sawyer among us. Great work!

Don't think that is true, I just try to document this stuff and enjoy our times working together for memories sake. working up wood has always been Dad and I's "bonding" time. I'm 49 and I was the hatchet crew, limbing was I was knee high. I was beaming when one Christmas I got a brand new Estwing hatchet. Still have it of course! :rock:

Don't think that is true, I just try to document this stuff and enjoy our times working together for memories sake. working up wood has always been Dad and I's "bonding" time. I'm 49 and I was the hatchet crew, limbing was I was knee high. I was beaming when one Christmas I got a brand new Estwing hatchet. Still have it of course! :rock:

Thank you for TAKING THE TIME to just "document this stuff" and share with the rest of us. Very informative.

I never got a hatchet for Christmas (sniff...sniff), but did manage to whack through the fingernails of 2 fingers (down to the BONE) on my left hand with a hatchet chopping sticks while on a camping trip with mom & dad....many moons ago. I still remember riding with my dad in a volunteer fireman's pickup truck to the hospital, followed by stitches through the fingernails. Fun times...not!

Thank you for TAKING THE TIME to just "document this stuff" and share with the rest of us. Very informative.

I never got a hatchet for Christmas (sniff...sniff), but did manage to whack through the fingernails of 2 fingers (down to the BONE) on my left hand with a hatchet chopping sticks while on a camping trip with mom & dad....many moons ago. I still remember riding with my dad in a volunteer fireman's pickup truck to the hospital, followed by stitches through the fingernails. Fun times...not!

Yeah, different times now. Dad would probably get thrown in jail for giving me a Dangerous weapon as a Christmas gift, let alone making me work! I'm SO warped now. It's so bad I actually think I should provide for myself, not relying on the government to spoon feed me. Oh the horror!

Yeah, different times now. Dad would probably get thrown in jail for giving me a Dangerous weapon as a Christmas gift, let alone making me work! I'm SO warped now. It's so bad I actually think I should provide for myself, not relying on the government to spoon feed me. Oh the horror!
My son loves my Fiskars X15. He's really going to like the X7 hatchet I just picked up.

Love the pics. There is something about guys who enjoy felling trees, bucking them and making good use out of them. It's something my grandpa and I share and every time I work the woodpile or drag a tree out I think of him and the smile he would have on his face. Every Thanksgiving morning we would work his wood pile to build up a hunger for the feast later in the day. I'm glad he taught me the value and joy of good hard work that is good for the mind, body and soul. Thanks for sharing the post, I really enjoyed it.

MVC-001S_24.JPG

Didn't have a lot of time today but we got around 3 hrs in. The trimming crew doing their thing and I'm sawing up the bigger stuff. Friend is using his Stihl 009 I got running for him with a new solid state coil. He said he had to get a file to sharpen the chain and I told him to give it to me and I'd do it. After doing so and contouring the rakers as well I asked him how it was. He said it cuts better than it ever did before. Mission accomplished. ;)

MVC-002S_23.JPG

Did get most all of it cut up on this side as he is saving the logs to saw up for lumber. Said he wants to make wood baseboard covers for his heating system.

MVC-003S_16.JPG

I got the far 2 trees all cut up before the "limb crew" came. Couple of slackers they are! Hah. Hope I can still do what they do when I'm their age. Should get a full day in tomorrow and would think the cutting should be done. Then the fun of cleanup!

MVC-001S_25.JPG

Went back over today and made short work of what was left in the back yard. It's all bucked up except for a few logs he keeping for lumber as mentioned before.

MVC-002S_24.JPG

I think he'll have enough wood for this Winter! ;)

MVC-003S_17.JPG

Took a break to get some pics of this tree for you guys. It's just beyond his driveway and it's a big boy.

MVC-004S_13.JPG

I'd feel real sorry for the car that ran into this one! Root base is just massive and perfect spot as it has all the water it wants.

MVC-005S_11.JPG

Here is some scale for you. I'm 6'5". It measures 20' 6" four foot up so that puts the diameter at over 6 1/2 foot. Too bad it's cottonwood.

MVC-006S_8.JPG

Some limbs all ready fell on that guardrail but I pity the township crew if it falls on the road. Some serious weight there.

MVC-007S_6.JPG

Heading back our friend decided he wanted to let these go for awhile and drag them up later. They'll be some logs on those too.

MVC-008S_4.JPG

May have to drag in several pulls as some of these are pretty big.

MVC-009S_3.JPG

Started on the front and cut some log lengths and started dragging them up off front hill

MVC-010S_1.JPG

They'll be about 5 or 6 logs out here till we're done. That's a MS660 with a 3ft bar for scale. We're cutting the logs 17 ft long.

MVC-011S_1.JPG

Good bit of wood out here as well.

MVC-012S_1.JPG

All bucked up here as well now. A couple logs rolled down the hill just out of view so he'll get them from the road.

MVC-013S_1.JPG

Going to leave these for now as well as they are easy pickens. He said he will drag them towards his wood shed and cut as they are needed, saving a handling if you will.

MVC-014S_1.JPG

I went back through and flush cut all his stumps for him as well. He was tickled that he got all of that cut up and wants to burn the wood up in his woodshed before moving this stuff in so I guess we are done for a while. I'll go back over when he's ready to do that. Good times with a good friend.

You can still buy those come-alongs. Google "more power puller", they are made in America and are awesome. I have two. They are cast iron and prices vary but they seem to start a little over $200.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    911.6 KB · Views: 26
Lots of good firewood there, really good. I have that same cast come-along. Pulled a ton of stuff with it. Bought mine twenty years ago after testing the capabilities of a truck of mine in the swamp. Winched and winched and winched and winched, but got that thing out. Not much it won't pull and very portable.

You can still buy those come-alongs. Google "more power puller", they are made in America and are awesome. I have two. They are cast iron and prices vary but they seem to start a little over $200.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to try to get one now. In doing the search BE AWARE that there is a China knockoff of these. The original has been made since the 1930's by The Wyeth-Scott Company here in Ohio of all places. They make a 2 ton and 3 ton version so watch that as well. Around $350 seems to be the norm with shipping and tax extra but did find a place that "says" they sell it for $188.00. I'm calling Monday and I'll let you know what I find out.

American Power Pull or New American Power pull is a China knockoff. Whenever a company puts American in their name it's usually a red flag to me anymore.

do not know the place or any connection to them just a hair over your price at I just searched on comapany and product.
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/Products.asp?mi=15121

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/commercial-products/wyethscott-/3-ton-20-516-cable-pow-416015

Well Called the place and they said they can no longer get them so if anyone finds a source that is sell a Wyeth-Scott 862-3-20 3 ton pull power for under $230.00 let me know.

do not know the place or any connection to them just a hair over your price at I just searched on comapany and product.
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/Products.asp?mi=15121

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/commercial-products/wyethscott-/3-ton-20-516-cable-pow-416015

The first one is for a 2 ton but they do have the 3 ton for less than 410.00 more $30.00 shipping though

Second one wants $43.00 shipping which is WAY out of line in my eyes. I'll keep looking to see if I can find something reasonable on the shipping.

Back