hemlock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan R

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i have a 24'' hemlock i want to mill up,being a builder i know it can be used for framing,any other good use for it,dont think it has great grain for table top,??

Many a barn in Northern Michigan used Hemlock for the beams, makeing mangers and grain bins, floors in the hay mows and about nay place where it would stay dry.

Al

I cheated and took a few 18"-24" smaller logs to my bandsaw mill guy. I was of the same thought as what to do with them.... They actually turned out all right for smaller tables /shelves, the grain was nice and the colour was was not to bad(and harder than I hought).. I believe I used a few and put an add up and sold a whack of em for $25/each

I have a ton of it on my land and mill for general use for Timber Framing. (4x8 and 4x10’s mostly).
Cut the pith out of your center rips.... it will always misbehave.
Also, the bark seems mild enough but is hell on cutters so strip it off where you can If you cs mill.

When I was a younger pup learning carpentry in a stair shop (Mid 80’s), straight grain Hemlock was our go to paint grade finish lumber.
Lots of it still ends up as trim work market Today....

Although a “softwood” it’s really strong stuff... I find it great for timbers as it looks good rough or with a planed and finished surface.
Trees grow straight and long so getting 20’ length is often possible.

we have 1 saw mill near by thats saw alot of hemlock framing lumber, most of it get shipped out for commerical framing due to it strength,i have use some of it on jobs,nice stuff to frame with green. thanks form all the advice! i might cut some live edge slabs ,see what it looks like?

Latest posts

Back