Hey Dennis, You need this!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I like that...I really feel we can put a supercharger on one of these saws...I am going to look into this...Doug, you must know where I can get one of these little superchargers...or is this the only place?

$1300 American for the supercharger is a lot but you should be able to do away with the tuned exhaust pipe as you wouldn't need the backflow pulse to charge the cylinder.
I'd want to know the pressure/flow specs to make sure it's not just something that looks like a supercharger.
The other question is at what positive pressure do the crank seals refuse to seal.
I think you might need a pulley the size of a dinner plate to get the reduction:D

Keener..its funny I discussed these very things with my machinist tonight...I just got home...but...I think it is still very possible....we are going to deal with it this fall...have too much to do this summer...but i am looking for a small supercharger...:D

I was going to ask about supercharging a saw before, but thought you'all would laugh.

You have to look at how much power it takes to drive it versus the added power it produces. Also, wouldn't you have to change carbs to a nonimpuse type. Since air would be flowing all the time with the huffer.

Yes you would. I just asnswered my own question. The impuse tube woul now become a pressure bleed. Hey theres your burst panel!

Dennis, I think this is more improtant than anything you have to do right now. lol
;)

What if, instead of a "blowthrough" type application where the carb is between the blower and the engine, you had the blower between the carb and the engine. Wouldn't this make things OK?
I've got no idea about small two stroke applications of these things, but maybe the addition of reed valves would make things easier

I suspect that the port timing would have to be changed and you'd most likely have to drop the compression ratio as well, although since we're talking about piston port thingies, maybe the effective compression ratio could be futzed with by porting alone. You might not even want a pipe on it. This blower would be pretty small, too. On a five cubic inch saw, if you had a 1:1 ratio of blower speed to crank speed, the blower would only need to be 5 cubic inches to get 14.7 lb. of boost, all other things being equal, which of course they're not. The engine gurus here could probably figure out the porting stuff to get into the ballpark intitially. After a couple of dozen blown motors, you'd probably have a screamer.

Latest posts

Back