hey question how do you deal with trash in the trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowagold

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
yea a couple of 6 foot dia oak logs to deal with.. maybe 10 foot long or more.. (nice for fire wood)
fire wood to be....
but it has nails etc..
does any one have a good chain solution for dealing with trash in the trees?
we plan on getting the nails we see out...
I did not know if carbide was a thing to help with the trash...
or if there was a good solution out there..

yea a couple of 6 foot dia oak logs to deal with.. maybe 10 foot long or more.. (nice for fire wood)
fire wood to be....
but it has nails etc..
does any one have a good chain solution for dealing with trash in the trees?
we plan on getting the nails we see out...
I did not know if carbide was a thing to help with the trash...
or if there was a good solution out there..
Those are some seriously big oak logs. Got any pics? If I get logs with a bunch of hardware in them like that they get dumped in the swamp behind my house. Good wildlife habitat.

If I’m cutting trees from someone else’s yard or the side of a roadway I always do the felling cut then work from the top back towards the stump. Inspect each cut for black stains as that is a sure indication of metal.

The vast majority of any metal is going to be in the bottom 8’ of the log.
The stains are blue here.

You can't count on working from the top down when your cutting in a wood lot. You never know what some lazy deer hunter left in a tree.

Note the screw in step jut to the right and down a bit from the first limb removed from this Elm.

At least you can see the stand that the tree had grown around, but the chain isn't so easly seen.

These screw in steps I guestmate have only been in this Oak for 5 years before I bought the property. How long be fore they are completly in the tree and ruin some ones chain saw chain or worse yet a saw mills blade(s). They were spaced for climbing up to about 20 feet too.

I have a metal detector(fisher 22) and use it, but wish I had a pin pointer to get closer to where th metal really is.
Stuff with hidden metal burns in the fire pit just fine.

Al

Latest posts

Back