HF Chain Grinder Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just recieved a grinding wheel . . .Bore measures .916" . . .oversize for the nominal "7/8'" (.875).
I noted this with some wheels. The I.D. seems to vary between some manufacturers. Likely, an issue with conversion between metric and imperial measurements?

I tried shimming the arbor for one with tape, but also got a lot of vibration.

Better to stick with brands that you know will fit.

Philbert

My local HF store only has the 1/8" thick.
I bought Molemab wheels from Bailey's. Northern Tool and Menard's also carry some for TimberTuff and Roughneck grinders. And Oregon sells some too.
Trick #1 is that some grinders have different diameter arbors that fit those larger I.D. wheels.
Trick #2 is that some of the HF type grinders do not have enough thread on their arbors, or clearance under the side covers, for larger wheels. E.g. I could not mount a 1/4" wheel on one grinder that said you could.

Philbert

Well guys I have been given what I would call the older HF Chicago model grinder...now I have always sharpened by hand or the grandberg jig, so I have zero experience with an electric grinder.... However curiosity got the better of me and the first time trying this grinder I sharpened a 3/8 lo pro picco chain for my ms180... I must say I was absolutely shocked how sharp the chain was and how well it cut.... I mean I did go slow at first and used the "play" in the arm to gently "kiss" the cutters, and it actually turned out pretty darn good...

I have found out that if I use a 3/16 wheel I can sharpen .325 and 3/8 chain, so I am anxious to try and sharpen the bigger chain with this HF grinder...

Well guys I went to get a 3/16 wheel, and when I causally looked at the 1/8 and the 3/16 side by side, I went ahead and got the 1/8 wheel..... I sharpened a old chain for my ol trusty ms290 with the 1/8 wheel last blight and will see how it does today...

Now this chain is .325..... Do you guys like use the 1/8 or the 3/16 wheel for the .325 chain....

And just let me say that I do understand this HF grinder is what it is, so if nothing else i will use it to sharpen my 3/8 picco chain only, I mean hell the grinder was free, and I like sharpening chain, so win-win right!!!!!

Well I put my 290 into some ash logs I have laying around the house, and the chain I sharpened with the HF grinder..... Actually the chain did pretty damn good....I would like to know what it cut like with a 3/16 wheel....

Now to state the obvious, I can still sharpen the best with the file guide, and the grandberg, but if I am in a hurry this grinder will definitely work!!

Now you guys that have Oregon or the better grinders, do they honestly sharpen as good or close to hand filing??

Yes.

Philbert

OK that's great...now I have been keeping my eye out for a good used grinder for a while.... I have heard the tecomec grinders are the same as the oregons..... Do any of you guys have the tecomec grinders???

New chain is a good reference to have, even to set up a grinder. Vendors like Bailey's will sell chain by the link (!) if you want to build a 'library'.

Of course, one of the advantages of sharpening your own chain is to experiment - filing/grinding it to custom angles for your saw, and your cutting.

Philbert

In all seriousness, you sharpen the chain. The grinder is just the tool. Good quality wheels help, and skill/experience is something that you develop.

Philbert

I got ya, like everything else, the more you do it the better you will get.....

Philbert, if you had to pick one of your grinders to keep, which one would it be???

I consider my Oregon 511A as a 'standard' for most users: it's my reference point. Basic, good quality, supported with parts, etc. The current version is model 520.

Not necessarily the 'best'. And I would be happy with most of the Italian made (Oregon, Tecomec, etc.) grinders for my use. Higher volume sharpeners might prefer the self-clamping models. Some consider the STIHL and Silvey grinders to be better.

Don't overlook the quality of the grinding wheels either. Some guys find that to be the biggest improvement to the 'clone' grinders.

Philbert

Trying to upload two pix of installed quick release clamp on my grinder. Couldn't do it with Tapatalk so tried to move them from my phone to my tablet with Airdroid. That also failed. Had to email them to myself. Jumping through hoops here.

View attachment 453651 View attachment 453652

The older I get the less time I can spend waiting while HughesNet uploads pix so I had to use thumbnails. Maybe they'll suffice.

Ted

Thanks Ted, that's exactly the solution I've been looking for. I like the HF unit just fine except the clamp mechanism makes it functionally useless. I'll take some measurements and look for one of those clamp posts to fit. Do you happen to know the manufacturer of the one you used that was a perfect fit, or have an extra one I could buy off you?

Fixed my chain stop floppy thing. It had been kissed by the grinding wheel too many times.
968bdba869dd42f63a07700ea1ad49a6.jpg

Filed it square on the end.
661dec84b6fd7827101bd90b24dd2402.jpg

And then dimpled it to make it self centering.
0ac4c9ee2a692ead363eb9c28c9d161b.jpg

Hardest part was setting up a snap ring pliers for the tiny TruArc ring.

Latest posts

Back